Same here. Had a parathyroidectomy 6 weeks ago and have gained 7 pounds. Appetite has increased. Exercise every day. Starting to get concerned

Same here. Had parathyroid surgery 11 weeks ago. Increased appetite and have gained 8 pounds. What is going on???

Also had parathyroid tumor removed at Norman Center in Tampa 2 yrs ago and am alarmed at unexplained weight gain. Never weighed over 125, now 140 and still gaining with same diet and exercise. Will it ever stop!

I had a parathyroidectomy two years ago and have gained 70 pounds without changing my eating or living habits. I am not contending that I am the world's healthiest eater, but I haven't become a less healthy eater in the two years since the surgery. I am terrified. I just turned 70 years old and no matter what I try, this weight just keeps coming. I have to keep buying larger and larger clothing and am embarrassed at my size, especially at work or social events. I am starting to avoid professional obligations that involved presenting, teaching, or being "on display" in any way. I work full time and am constantly exhausted. My endocrinologist says that she has never heard of people gaining weight due to the parathyroidectomy, so I will print out all of these comments to share with her. The very frustrating part is that I had NO symptoms prior to the surgery. Felt fine, but was convinced by my endocrinologist that the hypercalcemia would eventually cause heart problems. I wish I had never had the surgery.

I've had the same issue since parathyroidectomy and Kidney transplant in 2007. 32 inch waste/42 shoulders, weighed 165-75 from 17 yrs. old to 45. Now 42 waist, 46 shoulders, 220 pounds. Juvenile Diabetes from 19 to 52. Gained 45 pounds in two years after pt surgery and kidney transplant. Diet, exercise, supplements have not worked. Glad to be off dialysis but unhappy about weight. Many doctors will not tell the truth. They say appetite and eating increases after surgery but mine did not. I eat much less but cannot stop gaining.

Having same issue what can I do to resolve this problem

I had a parathyroidectomy three years ago. All but a small part of one were removed. I have gained 70 pounds with NO change in diet or lifestyle. My endocrinologist has no ideas, but says it couldn't be a result of the surgery. I am terrified because my weight just keeps creeping up. I have gone up at least 6 sizes in clothing.

I had a parathyroidectomy 6 months ago and have gained at least 10 pounds (maybe a bit more) . The weight gain is mostly around my middle and it won't come off no matter how've much I work out/eat right. I'm playing tennis, doing whole body weight circuit training 3 days per week, bike riding, and walking at least 15,000 steps per day. What is going on? I just thought I'd google this to see if there was a connection and explanation. I am taking Citracal Maximum with D3 one per day- per dr instructions.

It has been 7 months for me and I have gained weight I can't loose I don't know what to do.

It's been terrifying for me. It's been three years since my parathyroidectomy and I have gained more than 70 pounds with NO change in my eating habits. And it just keeps going up. My endo says it cannot be a result of the surgery, but can find no other reason. Worst part is, I never wanted the surgery. I never had any of the symptoms (aches etc.), but she felt I should have it due to hypercalcemia. I wish I'd never done it! I am terrified that I will weigh 500 pounds if this doesn't stop. Dieting doesn't help!

I feel the same way,it’s only been a month for me , I had one removed .i know I’ve gained weight . I I haven’t had my follow up yet 2 more weeks , I will let you know what she says.

I read the complete opposite.

Parathyroid removal last April, and I have steadily gained weight since. I am up 20 lbs, bigger than I have ever been. The normal tricks are not working to shed the lbs, and I am super bummed about it. Going to the doc next week to get some hormone tests. I'm sorry everyone else is having problems, but relieved to see that it isn't just me.

Had the surgery 6 months ago and have gained 15 lbs. I read an article that weight gain is a myth, but it was written by doctors that perform the surgery! If anyone can figure out what to do about this, please post ! So concerned !