I don't typically, but am having a frustrating time with Hayden's behavior right now. I just ordered a couple of books from Amazon and will be curious how they are. There are so many books on parenting, and basically I think a book to back up any theory in the world, but we'll see if the ones I got help.

Titles....

Scream Free Parenting: Raising your kids by keeping your cool
Setting Limits with your Strong Willed Child

For fun and to get the Super Saver Free Shipping I also got a Dora book on visiting the Dentist (Hayden's first trip is coming up), and a couple of peek-a-boo books for Avery...Where's my belly button and Excuse Me, the little book of manners.

:wavey:

We started reading the What To Expect books before my wee one was born, then kept reaching for them when we didn't know what to do (ie. all the time - we were new at it). For us, it caused a lot of stress because we weren't trusting ourselves when we didn't know the answer. Your situation sounds different, though. If there's a specific behaviour that you're working on, and you've tried it all, I don't think there's any harm in looking for some new ideas. This will sound odd, perhaps, but I like the Supernanny. We do the Naughty Seat with my daughter (now 22mos) and it works rather well. She used to bite a lot when her teeth were coming in, so off we go to the Naughty Seat. Calmly explain to them why they're there (make sure they look at you), leave them for 1 minute per year of age, the go back and ask them to apologize for what they did. It didn't take long before my daughter would stop and think before biting, and then shake her head "no" and say "no biting." It takes some time and persistance, but if you're consistent with it, the child will learn. And the nice thing is that the Naughty Seat can be anywhere - on the step, on a park bench, on the floor in the corner - wherever it's needed. Good luck, and be patient.

I just bought three of them, Molly.

I've never read them before either.

Thanks for the input. We watch Supernanny, too, I think she does great. Although sometimes I can't bear to watch after dealing with a toddler all day!!! We do the time out chair. We started with the steps when he was younger and it worked for a while, but then he started moving around too much so we switched to a chair. Right now time out seems to have lost some of it's affectiveness which is frustrating, but we are still doing it. We also take away certain toys or things, and that comes and goes with affectiveness, too. We have really been working hard on being consistent and calm, although in recent times I am having trouble keeping my cool. I think it's dealing with it all day so much it gets to me more than my hubby (plus, he's just more laid back).
Who ever said that it's the terrible twos to watch out for, so far three is much harder!!!!!! We are trying and working on it every day, but it's a constant battle. There is definitely a sibling rivalry going on. He LOVES his sister, but constantly bugs her instead of playing with her and takes things from her when she is playing with them. It's so frustrating to watch him be mean to her and I don't ever allow it, yet he continues........

My MIL used to buy me parenting books for my birthday??????

A mean streak in me feels like sending them back with "I don't need these anymore" note attached. They are literally sitting in front of me right now

that said, I could have used the "Scream free Parenting". :umno:

I don't have time for reading, but I did pick up some great tips when Mommy Dearest came out on DVD. :thumbsup:

Did you end up with Rosemary's Baby?

Now THAT'S offensive. I would freak out if my MIL did that!!! Did she think that was subtle???????

I have no idea. This is a woman that left home when her children were 11 and 12...without the kids and without telling them.

I'll start a thread on an internet bulletin board, get roasted for being so off base and then go ahead and do what I intended to all along.

I am reading the what to expect in the 1st year right now. I really don't have anything useful to add, but this is the first time I am eligible to answer one of these treads.

Um, I'd say there are a few books she should read..... :umno: