I thought I saw this topic (and I thought I started it) but now I can't find it so my question is, for those of you that are readers, what do you do with all the books you buy? Our piles are getting big again and I think Mrs. Boiler wants to get rid of them, I don't want to throw them out.

Do you have a Half Price Bookstore (or other used bookstore) that would buy them from you? Then you get store credit and get to get more books! /book addict also check with your church, local charities, schools, library, some of those might be interested too.

I would love to donate them somewhere. I might just drop them in the slot of my library and let them either put them in circulation or just sell them to make money to offset their expenses

J1's idea is an excellent one.

Our usual way to do clear our books is to donate them to the local libraries - a couple of them have two or three used book sales a year.

I donate them to the local library for the used book sales. Also videos that we no longer watch, or have just bought on DVD.
Sometimes I will give a bunch to a reading friend with the stipulation that I don't want them back.
My MIL just gave me some paperbacks to read. After I read them, off to the library for them.

The other part I am struggling with is just giving them up. Suppose I want to go back and read one again! :D

This might help.

Get rid of books? Are you crazy?

I'd much rather hold on to the books, but if it is something that you don't want and won't read again, then you can have a garage sale and sell a bunch of your books.

The thing about selling to a used book store is that you get very, very little for your books and in some cases nothing. I like the donation idea, whether it is Salvation Army, Hurricane Relief, or local library. This way others can benefit.

well, first of all, I loathe paperbacks so when I buy a book it's hardcover. Then I have the problem of not wanting to part with them either....so I don't. So, someday when I grow up I'll have my own library! I've also inherited my mother's books....but they're still at her house she's been gone three years the 18th of Sept. :cry:

I figure we will pay for the kids college education with the money we make selling all of their books come yard sale time :umno:

All of the ideas are good. I am such a book worm, but so are my mom and aunt so the books make the rounds, and one of us usually holds onto them or passes them on to a friend.

Go to VA Hospital (Or any other hospital/nursing home) and donate them...

I've done the used bookstore thing, and I've donated to the library. Hardbacks are keepers for me tho.