Hi
My husband just told me while he was sitting at the PC he thought he felt something weird like diarea coming so went toilet and all that came out was a clear liquid discharge. We are wondering whether its something we need to get checked out or not. I don't think its an STD because he only sleeps with me and we don't do any anal stuff either. Any ideas what it could be?

Well, if the discharge continues, I would have that checked. If your husband suffered from diarrhea or some kind of inflammation or on the other hand he has problems with constipation, the area between rectum and anus may tear because the mucus membrane becomes dry and irritated. When a tear like this appears, it is called anal fissure and it may be painful at times as well as bleed and itch.

Another possible reason could be anal fistula, a very small tract that develops due to some kind of infection. When the fistula gets infected, it may drain liquid. This usually doesn’t hurt but may itch and cause discomfort by irritating surrounding skin.

If you husband suffers from bowel problems, he is more likely to experience such anal problems.
It would be best if he had it checked in case symptoms persisted.

Sometimes anal sphincter loses its ability to function as a guard leading to fecal inconsistence but I am sure your husband would notice it already.

does your husband take prilosec? I had a relative with the same problem. Discontinuing the prilosec for a few days stopped the drainige.

Hey I just have had the same problem, I renember having it when I was about 10 yrs old.. but it went away, now it is back.

I eat healthy and goto the gym everyday. I get ready bad stomach pains and feeling like im going to have diahrea when doing fitness, also I have had anal discharge, its clear also have had irratated skin around the rectal area and some bleeding..

I actually thought this was worms because I get bad fatigue etc aswell and really bad stomach wind and bloating and not being able to sleep at night.

could this be the same thing?

My post got submitted twice by mistake.
Please see the post below

I too have been having clear anal discharge, and it has been going on-and-off for at least four years. It seems to come in waves, but lately (past few months) it has been almost constant.
I have to be careful when passing gass, sometimes as much as half an ounce of a clear liquid discharges with the gass, which can be really embarassing. :$ When I suspect it will happen, I pad the anal area with a folded up tissue to absorb any accidental discharge. There is also a clear stringy mucus-like substance which accompanies my stool, or discharged separately, when I have a bowel movement. This and the clear discharge are likely the same substance.

Last month, I asked my family doctor, and he thought it was a polyp and ordered a colonoscopy. He also had me submit a stool sample to the hospital for culture, mucus, hemoglobin test, but it came back negative.
The gastrointestinal doctor who performed the colonoscopy said it would not be polyps. He said it was normal to have some clear mucus in the stool, or separately. He suspected the larger amount of liquid discharge may be caused by hemoroids. The colonoscopy came back with no polyps found.

I even suspect worms or some other parasite, but still need more research on that.

Searching the Web, I notice others seem to have the same type of problem, but I don't see any answers. ?
I wonder how common this problem really is.

My wife suggested it may be something like IBS brought on by stress. I have been under a lot of stress for the past couple of months. Perhaps she is right. I am going to put a major effort to reduce my stress during the next couple of weeks to see if that helps. Hope that works.
8)

[edit: added the following]:

Suspecting it might be from alcohol, I avoided any trace of alcohol for more than a week, and no change in the condition.

Suspecting it may be medication, I took no antihistamines, asprin, or any other medication for over a week, and no change in the condition.

I doubt it is bacterial, since I have taken antibiodics several times over the past several years when I had nasal surgery, dental surgery, etc., and no change in the condition.

Thinking it may be sinus drippage, I took antihistamines in the morning and evening for two weeks, resulting in virtually stopping any sinus drippage, and no change in the condition.

I really hope the stress reduction shows some results.

R Stressed wrote:

....My wife suggested it may be something like IBS brought on by stress. I have been under a lot of stress for the past couple of months. Perhaps she is right. I am going to put a major effort to reduce my stress during the next couple of weeks to see if that helps. Hope that works....

So far I don't know if it is stress related, but the problem went away for a couple of days this week. However, at the same time, I cut down on my milk consumption and my favorite met sausage.
I am now wondering if it could be a reaction to milk or the nitrates in the met sausage I like so much. :idea:
Should know the answer to that in a week or two. 8)

Ive had it on and off for about 2 years... For me it was a mixture of things...#1 being stress. 2. eating to much junk food before i go to sleep 3. staying up to late.... 4. job change

I took actions to control my stress levels and soon the problem went away. Sometimes i have alot on my mind... stress creates a stomache acid which could explain this.

Guest wrote:

....I took actions to control my stress levels and soon the problem went away.....

Guest, I agree, stress can do a lot of strange things to us, but I dropped my stress level significantly without any change in my symptoms. Wish it was stress. At least then I would have something to work on.

Another symptom which I feel is related to my digestive tract is a 2" x 3" area just below the right side of my rib cage that feels irratable when touched, or when clothing moves across the skin. This has been constantly around about as long as the other on/off symptoms have. The family doctor, the gastro guy, and a dermatologist all dismissed the irratable area as some irritated nerve or muscle without even physically looking at it.

I plan to contact my former family doctor from ten years ago who has gone back again into private practice. I feel he has a more personal approach and makes more effort to look for real answers. I plan to ask him about the possibility of me trying an intestinal cleansing routine for a couple of months to see if my problem could be some parasite (worm) invasion of my intestines. :oops:

By the way, it definitely is not the dairy products or my favorite smoked mett sausage. That's both a relief and not, because that means the problem has not been solved yet.

If this forum topic is still around by the time I find what it is, I will post what I find. 8)

Last Thursday, I drank about 1/4 cup (2 onces) of vinegar, not near any mealtime, and followed by about 2 ounces of water to rinse the throat, etc. but without diluting the vinegar too much. The next day, my symptoms drastically decreased.
Saturday, I drank another 1/4 cup of vinegar, and the symptoms had virtually left me until this evening (Wednesday).
This evening, I drank another 1/4 cup of vinegar.

The only observed side effect from the vinegar was a slightly sore throat for a few hours.

Vinegar is supposed to be harmful to worm infestations in the intestines, and is part of one worm cleansing which I read about on the Internet.
Because I suspected worms or other parasites all the long, this convinces me that I must have worms. I read that about 40% of the American population has worms or other parasites at any given time. I don't know how accurate that may be, but I think it is my problem.

Worms can invade a parson very easily by eating rare or under cooked meat, drinking or swimming in worm contaminated water, eating contaminated fruit, walking barefoot in the grass, being in close contact with cats, dogs, or other animals, breating air containing microscopic worm larva or eggs, etc.

I have decided to do one of those 2 to 3 month organic "colon cleansings" that clean out the small and large intestines and includes a treatment for parasites. Until I can conveniently get started on the treatment in a week or two, I think I will treat the symptoms with my vinegar drink as the need dictates.

Will follow up with whatelse I discover related to this problem.

Hey, I just realized this topic is being posted in the "Prostate Problems" area of the forum.
I just found the topic described my problem, and since no one was responding to it, I joined in.
I really doubt this problem I'm experiencing has anything to do with the Prostate. It belongs in another area of the forum. :$
If I find a suitable place to continue, I'll return here and post where my comments have moved. 8)

I've also been getting this weird symptom as well. I will be reading a book or sitting at the computer and i would notice some discharge and it is this smelly clear liquid. Although it doesn't burn or itch like some of those cases i've read about.

i'm a 21 year old male who has not been sexually active for a few months, I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, eat generally healthy and have not had any bowl problems.

It has just started today and since many mentioned stress may be a facter, i'll see how my body reacts once i reduce it.

Although, i don't understand what the causation of stress and this anal discharge?

found2000,

Stress can do a lot of strange things to the body, especially the digestive system. But I suspect somethings else, in my case.

I am now 1/3 of the way through the Colonix colon cleansing routine which uses natural herbs, plant extracts, and fiber to cleans the intestines of years of buildup and even parasites. Before the program, my clear liguid leakage problems were usually several times a day, but since I began the "cleanse", I have had only one day where there was any discharge. But then passing all that fiber through my system every day could be absorbing the fluid for now.

If the cleansing program works, I'll be overjoyed. But I won't really know until the 90-day program is done, and my system is back to it's normal routine. I certainly hope it does some good in regard to this discharge problem, since it costs almost $200 for a 90-day supply of Colonix.

Since you are only 21 (I'm in my 60's), unless some kind of parasite could be causing your problem, you may have a colon palyp, or you might have a tear in the colon or rectum lining, either from an unusually rough bowel movement, or some other object which may have torn the rectal lining, causing a clear fluid to discharge. Palyps are commonly removed by a colonoscopy, and I read somewhere that tears in the lining sometimes can heal on their own without other treatment. Whatever, I think medical persons would suggest seeing your doctor for his opinion and advice.

I realize this liquid discharge problem is not likely related to "Men's Health ->Prostate Problems", but since it has gone on so long under this category, I may as well report my findings here in two months when the cleansing program is finished.
8)

*update* Just for those who are researching. I was under alot of stress having most of the pressure coming from school.

After that week, i've felt fine and have not had any troubles.

food2000 wrote:

*update* ....I was under alot of stress...After that week, i've felt fine and have not had any troubles.

Great! May your stress and troubles remain far far away.