Well i'm not sure how to organize this post because of alot of background info but i'll start at the beggining I guess. I got sick for a month in fall/winter of my junior year of high school (I am now a sophmore in college), but the symptoms just never went away. I was having alot of problems with either a constant runny/stuffy nose and was going through tissues so fast that a box was used every couple of days and my nose was constantly red and sore. This went on for a couple months but eventually the mucus started to decrease in volume. I eventually went to my general doctor who ruled out a sinus infection and then sent me to an allergy doctor.

I had an allergy test done and was found to be allergic to several types of pollen (which I already knew) and dust mites. We took the steps to get rid of dust mites by buying special sheets and washing the sheets in hot water every couple days. This did nothing. I also want to note that the symptoms I was having was different from my season allergy symptoms which I've had my whole life because seasonal allegies involve itchy eyes/nose/throat and a runny nose and I still got seasonal allergies when there were high pollen levels.

Eventually went off to college and nothing changed. Still had the same annoying problem of constant mucus. Although sometime first semester the severity of the problem moved from my nose which got a little better down to my throat and I felt alot of post nasal drip. I was constantly hacking and coughing but the mucus would never leave my throat. I tried using a neti pot but that would only help clear my nose for an hour or so and do nothing for my throat. Allergy medications/antihestimines barely helped at all also.

This summer I went to an EN&T doctor but he was not helpful at all, besides confirming a little inflamtion in my sinuses and prescibing more allergy medication (he could not explain to me why my problem suddenly occured junior year of high school if they had never happened before).

The constant bad breath even though I constantly brush and use mouth wash is also extremely annoying. No matter where I go, what environment I am in, this problem follows me everywhere. I am now desperate to find a solution to my problem and don't know where else to go.

*Also cutting dairy out doesn't help either

I HAVE BASICALLY THE SAME PROBLEM.    STARTED IN THE HOSPITAL  AFTER A HIP REPLACEMENT &THEN E-COLI BLADDER INFECTION. I HAVE BEEN TO MANY DOCTORS & HAVE TALKED TO MANY MORE. ALLERGIST  SAYS NO ALLERGIES, ENT SAYS NO STRUCTURAL PROBLEMS (& THAT IS ALL HIS FIELD IS INTERESTED THEY ALL SAY), THE PULMINARY SPECIALIST  SAYS NOT INCLUDED IN HER FIELD BUT TRIES TO BE HELPFUL (NOT).  I HAVE USED EVERY INHALLER,  NASAL SPRAY, MEDICATION THEY CAN THINK OF.  NOTHING HELPS EXCEPT SUDAFED + METHSCOPOLAM HELPS IF NOT USED VERY OFTEN. THAT IS ABOUT IT. NO MEDICAL SPECIALTY WILL ACCEPT THE PROBLEM AS PART OF THEIR SPECIALTY.

THE OPERATION WAS 7 YEARS AGO. I SPENT MOST OF EVERY DAY FOR 3 YEARS TRYING TO CLEAR ENOUGH MUCUS FROM MY HEAD & THROAT TO FUNCTION. THEN IT WAS A LITTLE BETTER, FEWER HOURS TO CLEAR.  BUT IT IS STILL BAD & HAS RECENTLY GOTTEN WORSE AGAIN AS MY OXYGEN LEVEL HAS DECREASED. CURRENTLY AM GOING THROUGH ANOTHER REALLY BAD PERIOD.  

I HAVE LEARNED THAT VIBRATION AROUND MY NOSE & C-PAP MACHINE MAKES IT MUCH, MUCH WORSE.

Another possible cause is Deviated Nasal Septum. Deviated Nasal Septum can cause post nasal drip which leads to mucus buildup. I started having post nasal drip after a bike accident. I was hit in the head and this probably cause deviated nasal septum. When nasal.septum is crooked, it blocks nasal passage and cause post nasal drip. Deviated nasal sseptum can be corrected by a mild surgery which last for an hour. Check wih your doctor to rule it out.

That's what my ENT doctor suggested, however, I've had my deviated septum forever & never caused a problem before. I had a terrible sore throat almost two years ago now & ever since then it felt like something was going on under my tongue & also started getting drainage that just isn't going away.