Are there any REAL studies that investigate Marijuana interactions with perscription antidepressant meds like Zoloft? I've read a few instances where Marijuana can act as an antidepressant but haven't found where anyone has looked into the interactions with other meds. Would love to know if there is anyone out there besides myself who cares about this subject. With the winds of change blowing in the decrimanalization direction this may come up even more in the future. Thank you.

I am sure there have been studies of the marijuana effects on prescription medications but it would be a very loooong report since not all drugs are affected equally by marijuana.

Different SSRIs are not equally affected by marijuana.

Marijuana contains psychoactive tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) but also other 65 cannabinoids which could modulate THC's effects and produce others of their own. This is why it is impossible to precisely define the effects produced by cross-medicating marijuana with antidepressants.

Some of the names that I read about (who did some studies with marijuana and antidepressants) are Dr. Abraham Kryger, Monterey, California; Dr. Istvan Boksay, chief of psychiatry at the Aging and Dementia Research Center; Dr. Gabriel Nahas, pharmacology research professor at New York University Medical Center, and editor of Marijuana and Medicine.

All of these doctors agree that taking prescription antidepressants and self-medicating with marijuana is not a good idea. Not telling the physician who prescribes your antidepressants that you use marijuana would be a poor and potentially dangerous decision.