Hi everybody-

I've been a runner for more than five years now. I've recently moved to a place where the only (outdoor) running available to me is more strenuous than I'd like in that it's all uphill, and then, of course, all downhill on the return trip.

My apartment complex has state-of-the-art treadmills on the premises. Being an outdoorswoman, I'd prefer to run outdoors if given the chance, but indoor running may be my only option right now. My question is this: Is treadmill running as good for training purposes as outdoor running? Will I be burning as many calories? What about building muscle? If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it greatly!!

Jen :wavey:

Hills will no doubt make you a better runner but if you're not up for something that hard a treadmill is still a great workout. If you'd like to run outside but the hills seem a bit intimidating just start slow and maybe get some music to motivate you or find a traing partner. Good luck.

-John

John-

Thanks for the advice. And I agree with you about the hill running making me stronger. My old route was the perfect combo of hills and flat straightaways...it built up my quads in a matter of weeks- I'll miss it, but what can 'ya do? A wise man once said, "Make the best of what's around". And in this instance, I think that means mixing my treadmill runs with twice weekly asphalt runs...
Again, thanks for the input! Cheers!!

-Jen

Ya, no prob. Sounds like a good plan.

Where I live it's actually very flat and I wish there were more hills. I make do though by running stairs alot or up and down short hills.

-John