Ok, I am not a runner, but I've hurt my achilles tendon somehow and I need some help/advice with that. I hope someone can help me here.

So I am not a runner. I do go to the gym and usually do the elliptical trainer. Last week I did spend 20 minutes on the stair stepper. I'm not sure if that plays a role in my achilles pain.

So for about 5-6 days now I have had pain in the back of my ankle. Pretty sure its achilles. its about 1-2 inches up the back of my heel. That area is slightly swollen. It also feels tight. When I rest and then get up and move, the pain is worse. Once I walk around a bunch it feels better, but as soon as I rest again, the pain comes back once I get up.

I'm not sure what I can do for it? Should I take a break from daily cardio until it feels better? Is there anything else I can do? How long can I expect this to last?

Thanks for any input!