Hi. I like scuba diving. My Dad told me carbon monoxide poisoning can occur in scuba diving, due to badly sited diving air compressors. It made me worried. What are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Hi. Carbon monoxide has no color, no odor, no taste, it is non-irritating and very hard to detect. The early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are not specific. You may experience flu-like syndromes, depression, fatigue and headache. However, carbon monoxide poisoning is pretty hard to suspect and once suspected it can be confirmed by measuring the blood carboxyhemoglobin. The clinical manifestations of carbon monoxide poisoning include high blood pressure, tachycardia, headache, dizziness, convulsions, confusion and even unconsciousness. Carbon monoxide poisoning can produce vision problems, pulmonary edema, muscle necrosis, hyperglycemia and skin lesions. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning also include irritability, dementia, speech disturbances, Parkinson-like syndromes and depression.