I would really appreciate if someone would introduce me to polysystic ovaries. My sister was diagnosed with this and I would like to know what this is. She is really depressed for the past 2 days (since she found out about this). Is this serious?

This is a syndrome. It is usually characterized by irregular or absent menstrual periods and elevated serum testosterone and androstenedione. On ultrasound her doctor noticed enlarger ovaries and many smaller follicles around them. This follicles are common with one quarter of women I reproductive age, but they affect only 5 % of women. The condition may be hereditary, so if your sister has it, maybe you’ll have it too or you already have it. Do you notice abnormal bleeding, are you obese, do you lose hair, or do you have excess hair growth?
This can be serious, so you also need some check ups. It can result in infertility.

Hi there
i have just been diagnosed as well and would like to talk to anyone about it and keep in contact with them.
I found out yesturday i had it and was very sad for the day but i then found out i knew two poeple with it and one of them has had 2 kids and the other had recently had a miscarriage but they had 25 on each ovarie, where as i only have 14 and 13 on each so this made me feel a little better :-)....because i want kidssss!! when im older anyways. So i just would like to talk to anyone who has this, its werid beucase im 65kg and 5ft 11 and am not overweight, i dont sufffer from acne or im not really hairy so i think i may just have the polycystic ovaries not that syndrome. I have to ask my doc on fri as when she told me yesturday i was just crying my eyes out!! and didnt ask any other questions except CAN I HAVE KIDS?!?!?...anyways would love to discuss with anyone....and tell them my story on how i found out :-)
thanks heaps
all the way from AUSTRALIA :-) VICTORIA

I was diagnosed today with polycystic ovaries. My husband is in the US military and we are stationed in Germany. I also am not overweight nor do I excessive hair growth or loss or acne. My doctor is going to put me on birth control for a month to try to soften the ovaries so they will release the eggs. After that I'll take clomid again. If that doesn't work, he'll do a surgery and put holes to try to help the eggs release. I pray it works. I'm only 24 and my husband is almost 23. We really want kids. We have been trying for a year, but have been unsuccessful. I've had no menstrual periods and before that I was on birth control since I started at age 16 for regulation. Now is a great time for us to have kids because the military will pay for all treatments.

I just really have a question. I'm 26 and I found out that I have polycystic ovary syndrome. I never had normal periods and when I started taking medroxyprogest 10mg, I started to have a more normal cycle. I live with my boyfriend and we never use anything(condoms) Im not on birthcontrol pills because I get all the side effects. My question is how come I still have abnormal periods. This month I should have gotten my period on the 14th but it didnt start till the 23rd and is very light but dark brown. Am I on the wrong meds or is something wrong. I know that women with this have infretility problems and dont know if I am one of them being that it hasnt happened for me, yet?! Any answers would help alot! Thanks.

I have PCOS and have found a great support site http://www.soulcysters.net/index.php You can find out about meds and read other womens stories.

hi,

I am also diagonised with Polysystic Ovaries, for over a 2 years now. I also gave birth to a beatiful girl. She is turning 2. But i also want to know if i can get pregnant again, becoz now again i am experiencing irregular menstural cycle. I am also taking pills for the PO. But still cannot become pregnant. If anyone got pregnant again please give me details, how to go about it. We have been trying for over 6 months now.

lakshmi USA

I also have PCOS and I am 32. I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years now. I am not regular at all.
How did you get pregnant? Was it by chance, or were you trying?
I am starting to get REALLY depressed at the thought of not being able to have a child. I was adopted myself, so I would really like to have the connection of having a child of my own.

yes you can get pregnant again my mom has po and has had a large growth removed but had 3 children. pray about it! good luck & god bless

I have had cysts on both ovaries since I was 15. i used birth control when i was younger and then stopped due to excess weight. I lost about 30 pounds when I stopped and was feeling o.k. then the ovaries started to come back after a year. I tried many other pain pills, heating pads, birth control, and decided to just give up. I went to the doctors about five times since i was 15 and have had two laproscopic procedures to puncture the cysts. This is a quick fix and did hold the cysts at bay for me about 9 months. Now I'm 48 and i finally found a doctor to take everything out. No doctor wants to do this procedure. Why??? Don't know. i can't wait. i have one daughter and that will do. My time is wasted from dealing with pain most days. I feel good about 3 days of each month. When you start to feel like you are going to faint, sweating, and hyperventilating, I think it's time. i was trying to hold off for menopause, but i want a life. I'm tired of pain.