My little brother was swimming and there was lots of splashing, He got TONS of pool water in his eyes. They are burning him so bad he cant open them, and they are watering too. He looks swollen around his eyes and even his face a little. I tried giving him some eye drops and he said that made it worse. He is doing cold compress now. I feel so bad for him, If anyone knows if this may be a serious reaction, or of any home remedies... please respond, ASAP!! thanks!

Well, it would be best if he saw a doctor to determine if this is just a reaction to chlorine in the water or inadequate temperature in the pool or an eye infection. Eye infection could be caused by either a virus or bacteria from contaminated water.

Depending on the cause, a doctor may or may not prescribe him treatment.
If the infection is viral, then no medicine would work and the infection would go away on its on. But if it were bacterial, then he would need antibiotics to clear the infection.

The infection could have also been contracted by another person in the pool who had it not only from contaminated water.

If he was infected by more resistant bacteria, he may have to take two antibiotics, so I would suggest he saw a doctor.

Thank you!
Luckily The swolleness and redness went away within a day or two... He did lots of flushing, used really good eye drops, and he said the cold compress helped a lot too.

Would pool temperature affect that? we had the pool at almost 90 degrees. When its cold outside we do that from time to time, I didnt know it wasnt healthy????