I'm not sure if this is the right category for this, but that's because I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with my chest! I get a pain in one particular spot in my chest every once in a while. It feels like it originates from the tendons between the ribs and is right above, just below, my heart, but my heart has never had problems or pain. This started when I was in the Navy and had to work out very hard for special forces training. I worked out much harder than I was used to when I joined the boarding party team. We did a lot of exercises that would be easy for a man, but tough on a female, esp. a normally out of shape female like me. A lot of pushups, dips, things that work out the pecs and surrounding muscles. I don't remember the day I started having pain, it wasn't sudden. But I started getting a severe pain in that one little spot during that time. It would get so bad I'd be moaning with pain in my sleep, enough to wake people up around me.

Sadly, I dont' work out quite so hard anymore now that I'm out, so the pain is pretty much gone. I dont' feel it right now, for example. But, here's the odd thing. I smoke occasionally. Bad thing to do, believe me I know, I've been smoking off and on for years. Like, I've gone an entire year without smoking before. When I do smoke, it's usually only 2 cigarettes a day, and only for a few days, if that. When I smoke a lot, I get that pain again. Not as bad as when I was working out, but it's still there.

If I breathe in really deep and expand my chest, I can feel it, just a ghost of a pain at the very same spot. I've been to the hospital about this a few times, once when the pain was very bad and I'd been smoking. They took an x-ray and found nothing wrong with me.

I'd just like to know what it is. I get frustrated when I try to ask a doctor about it because I can't tell them exactly what the problem is, and since they dont' know where to look, they find nothing.

You may have costochondritis, inflammation of the cartilage connecting your ribs to the breast bone. Mild exercise such as pushups can actually ease the pain. Anti-inflammatory meds such as aspirin may also be helpful. Stress reduction using massage therapy may also help.

I had an issue like that myself and I did have someone pop my back and it went away. I don't know if you have had that done but it is possible that you have a joint slightly out of place. I think what hoseclamps or I posted could equally be likely and it would be worth looking into. Let me know what you think! :-)