I've had this very strange feeling between my ribs on my right side almost towards the back of my ribs, not on my chest. Its happend in the past a few times, but only briefly and when it happend I could take a very very deep breath and the bubbling feeling would climax to a sharp "pop" [best i can describe it] then it would go away. Last week it started up again and I figured "ok, it'll just go away like it usually does" but in trying to breath through it I noticed that it would make the sharp "pop" but would continue to bubble slightly as I exhaled. So I tried to breathe through it a few more times before i went to sleep and it seemed to be getting better. I fell asleep and I woke up the next morning laying on my right side, when I got up I noticed not only was it still bubbling but it was extremely painful when I tried to breathe through it. The pain was constant, wether I was breathing in or out and the bubble feeling still persisted. I could hardly breathe in, when I coughed or sneezed it hurt so badly ... I held my side for four days in absolute agony, and I was pretty scared about what was going on so I call my hospital and I made an apointment to be admitted, which is where I am as I type this. The doctors have told me a few differet things.
1) They think it could be scar tissue from a previous lung surgery [I had my right upper lobe removed due to cystic fibrosis].
2) They said my X-ray and ultra sound came back normal, so they don't think it was a collapsed lung.
3)It has gotten better, but I'm afraid that once I leave it will happen again, or come back worse...
...Basically they don't "know" what the probelm isand that worries the hell out of me because I believe to have a pretty high tolerance to pain but whatever this is completely getting the best of me and I'm incapable of any activity when it does this. Anyone have anything like this happen? Has anyone been able to find out what causes it and if it can be treated? :[

This happens to me too u know wats wrong yet

f**k I was so happy to find this when I did. i have had the exact same pain atleast 6 times now and I don't think anyone knows what it is. I haven;t told anyone or made an appointment for it because like you say, it goes away. Only mine just hurt after the pop then it stops right away but DAMN is it painful. I was thinking something like an Ulcer, but can you get those there? I dont know, but I hope someone else finds this and can answer for us.

I have the same thing going on as the original poster... I go in tomorrow for some blood work and some lung tests.... With me how it all started was it felt like someone kicked me in the ribs one morning, but as the day progressed it got better and lasted for a few days. I called and asked my Dr. if it could be a kidney infection and she said no, but if I wanted to be seen to set up an appointment... Seeing as I hate bothering people I just went on with my normal routine. that was on a monday, on friday my Dr. called me back asking me if my legs were swollen... Which they were.... She told me to go in right away for labs to check for a blood clot, and a few other tests. That night I had to head to the E.R. for a ct scan because my lab for blood clots was elevated... Well it came back that I was clear of blood clots!!! That following monday I recieved a call back from my Dr. saying that they found 3 spots on my left lung ( where it felt like someone had kicked me a week before) now I am finally going in 6 weeks later to get tests done! So all in all I hope that I will be able to give some insight in the next week!!!! Good Luck on your journey!!!!

Hey i have the same problem. Anyone figure out what it is yet?

Hi, I had the popping/bubbling on my right side and found out that it was pneumothorax and a collapsed lung and yes it is very painful.

I recently had a bad cough and my right side (back) got more and more painful and it I lay on it it felt like I was lying on a tennis ball or something.  Then, one morning I coughed and it felt like something 'popped' and the pain was unbearable, but the tennis ball feeling did vanish.  The symptoms I had were very similar to what you guys are describing.  I went to hospital and had my chest x-rayed and was informed I had an infection.  After 2 lots of antibiotics and an inhaler I kinda feel better until I lay down at night, at which point I get the weird bubbly/vibraty feeling as I breathe in and out and now that tennis ball feeling is back....I was a smoker, quit 7 days ago as this has scared me!  However, breathing has not improved at all.  Candace, does this sound similar to your experience?  I need to know what I should do....

I have had the same thing for months, off and on. After a month of it, I began to vomit food from the day before almost every morning for about two weeks. Of course my first thought was pregnancy, but when I found that that wasn't the case, I was still just as stressed- I mean, it's pretty freaky when it hurts to breathe!Ended up in the emergency room out of fear, because the pain was so severe, and the bubbling sound at the location of the most pain got louder (and you could feel it vibrate even without touching it).I didn't get a catscan because my family couldn't afford it, so I don't know really what's going on. All the doc's could come up with as possibilities were ectopic pregnancy or gallbladder, liver, or pancreas problems. They also mentioned a distended bowel could be involved.I have a gluten intolerance (and respect it, eat all organic food & avoid cane sugar, etc) and genetically inherited a low-thyroid issue from my mother's side.I'm 20 years old and have been recovered from 5 1/2 years of bulimia for about 5 months now. I figure this may be just one of the consequences of years of severe dehydration, mineral/enzyme/bacteria/hormone imbalances, but hoping that someone has a clue for me!

ive felt this way for four years

when i was maybe six years old i had a horrible pain under my ribs that hurt worse when i would breath in or out too deep. i screamed cause i thought i was dying and my dad rushed up to me and talked me through it. im 26 now and it still happens to me now and then. i discovered that when i get an attack like this, i can lie down flat on my back on a hard surface and put my arms straight past my head. it hurts really bad but i try to take as many deep breaths as possible and it will pop and the pain is gone immedietely. if i dont do that, the pain will last for an hour or so. this is my way of getting it gone faster. it doesnt always work though lol. i have searched and searched for a cause but have never found anything that describes exactly what i feel. its a stabbing pain, or maybe it feels like my rib is going to pop out through my skin. my dad was able to talk me through it because he said he gets the same thing although i have never witnessed him or anyone else go through this. i saw a Dr. and he told me it was stress related. he said it was a muscle spasm in my chest. something about the muscle getting tight and moving over a little bit and the popping sound i hear is the muscle moving back into place. i dont know if he knew what he was talking about or if he was making it up because like i said i have never seen or heard of any one else going through this. i have been going through this for 20 years. it drives me insane. sometimes it hurts so bad that i can hardly move. i have come very close to passing out because i get scared to take that deep breath and end up hyperventalating. its horrible! and very scary. try doing what i said about laying down on the floor or any hard surface. really stretch your arms as far back past your head as you can, and take a deep breath. it has worked for me on the first breath i took before but sometimes it takes a few tries.

i forgot to add that i have no heart condition, no asthma, no lung problems. no other symptoms when this happens. and it hits randomly. i have never vomited or gotten a headache from it. everything is perfectly normal, suddenly it hits, i get it to pop, and then its gone and i can continue what i was doing.

I sometimes breath in to about 3/5th lung capacity and hit a wall of sorts of sharp extreme pain. I close my eyes and breath out completely then breath in as hard as I can and feel a violent pop as my lungs cross that 3/5ths marker and breath in to full capacity. After this, the sharp pain is gone. This happens to me generally 5-6 times a year and has been happening to me from childhood through till now at the age of 29. It used to scare me and I'd wait it out until I learned that one hard breath in breaks through the pain barrier and pops the pain away. My girlfriend and I believe that the cause is trapped air within the body that has to be forced out of wherever it has gathered and shouldn't be. By forcefully breathing "past" the sharp pain, you force that trapped air out of wherever it is hiding... As a side note, I'm an athlete in perfect health, I've never had a single allergy or heart problem or any other medical problem in my life. I also get sick with the cold perhaps once or twice a year for a couple days and aside from that do not get sick. So clearly this is something genetic and weird and NOT related to blood clots or rib muscles or any other of the theories I've been reading!

its a muscle tear i have it and its because it moves when you breath from the swelling my doctor gave me muscle relaxers and bed rest and stay warm takes awhile to heal x

it sounds like a pleural effusion, i went in for that pain and they diagnosed me with disseminated valley fever. i get a sharp pain in my ribs like a knife stabbing me all i can do is hold my breath and 20 to 30 seconds later its like a balloon pops right where the stabbing pain was, and the pain instantly disappears. probably th wrong diagnosis but it something to look into

Precordial catch syndrome this what it's called. I get it too.