I had an abdominoplasty 3 weeks ago and I have developed a pocket on on my right side above the bellybutton that has fluid collection. I had it drained once last week and they took out 110 cc. I think it is about 30-40 cc now that will be drained tomorrow. (1 week later).

Is it normal for this to happen. I understand the muscle and skin have not attached in that area thus causing the fluid to collect there.

Any suggestions outside of drainage that I should be doing. I am wearing a binder 24 hours a day since the 1st draining last week.

I am considering having this next year and have seen my surgeon - this was one on the side effects he warned me about. It seems it is fairly common for this to happen. I don't think there is anything you can do - it will lessen as you heal. Drink plenty of water to help the body's elimination process.
Out of curiosity how did the rest of the procedure go. I am planning on having mine done (have quite a bit to remove) about July next year.

thanks

Well it has been almost 4 weeks since I had my abdominoplasty and abdominal hysterectomy and boy have I suffered. I am tough when it comes to pain but this pain was unreal. I prayed every night for my old body back. Night time seemed to be the worst for me. The nights were long and painful. I now have the pockets of fluid building up in my stomach and have to have them aspirated with a needle. I had it done today and they removed almost 600 cc of fluid. I wish I never had the surgery. I was not that overweight and now I have a huge ugly scar and awful pain. I am not sure if I just had to much done or if it is truly the abdominoplasty. Just beware!!