I've recently been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and want to get the Minimally Invasive surgery by an expert surgeon in this, in the USA. The NYC area would be preferable, but I'll consider other areas. Any experiences, positive or negative, about any particular surgeons for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

As far as I know, NY Presbyterian has a pretty good speciality there and they might be able to help you. Have you heard of them at all?

Yes, in fact I've just made an appointment to consult with Dr. Fahey, chief of endocrine surgery dept. I've made appointments also with Dr. Laura Sznyter, LIJ, and Dr. Keith Heller, NYU Medical Center. Then I'll choose one and do it. I'd still welcome any comments about any of these doctors if anyone out there has had experience with them, or about any other doctor you know who performs parathyroid surgery. Thanks!

It has been a couple of years now and I wanted to ask how this turned out for you? I need to look into the same issues and am looking for a good doc as well.

Thanks

Sorry, I just noticed your post. I hadn't checked in for many months. I had the surgery in January, 2010, performed by Dr Thomas Fahey at Weil Cornell in Manhattan NY. I had one bad parathyroid gland, which he removed. All went well. My parathyroid hormone level dropped way down immediately upon removal of the adenoma. I'm still taking calcium supplements, but just 500 ml. per day, and I take Vit D supplements. My serum calcium level was checked one year post op. It was 9.3, so everything is good. The scar has virtually disappeared. No-one can see it unless I point it out to them. I would definitely recommend Dr Fahey, but his fee is high - $8000 at the time, just for his surgical fee. So check with your insurance. If they'll cover it, I would not hesitate to have him do it. If not, you'll have to take that into consideration vs. who else you might want to have do the surgery. Best of luck!

Hi PianoGuy,

I just saw Fahey for a consult & went for ultrasound!!   So far nothing conclusive has shown on my scans, but maybe this new ultrasound at the radiology center will work!   Was your adenoma located before surgery?   Did you have local anesthesia?  How long was your recovery time?    What endo are you working with now?       Are you feeling better/different now?

It would be a great help to hear your answers!

Thanks--

fellow NYer

Yes, it showed up in the ultrasound, but he didn't know if I had more than one adenoma. Turned out it was just the one. I don't know what the anasthesia was called. It made me very groggy, but I was not totally out. After one week the stitches were removed. I was a bit disappointed at first at how noticeable the scar was, but it healed very fast. Every day it got lighter and less raised. Dr Fahey told me that the scar might become more noticeable in the first six months before it gets better, but in my case it just kept fading away. Now it's nearly invisible. I haven't been back to an endo at all. My insurance won't cover the visit now, and since I had a recent blood work that showed my calcium and parathyroid levels are excellent, I'm not worrying about it. I didn't have any noticeable symptoms before the surgery, so I don't feel different now.

PianoGuy wrote:

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

I'm looking for an experienced parathyroid surgeron. Going to see Dr. James Lee, NY Pres. Heard anything about him?

Could you please share urgently your experience with Dr. Thomas Fahey and Dr. Laura Szynter?  Who did you decide to go with?  What kind of surgery did you get and what are the post-operative feelings?  I am scheduled for a Total Thyroidectomy in a few days and your reply would be highly appreciated.

I have been chasing parathyroid problems for years--but since "the numbers"  in my blood tests have not been consistent, we have been "watchfully waiting" all this time. I just received my bone density results, however, and the surgery is now postitively indicated.. I will see Dr. Robert Udelsman at Yale-New Haven Hospital in the fall. He is  a noted parathyroid surgeon with a stellar reputation. Good luck to all of us!! (What a nasty little set of glands!)

Thank you for sharing your post.  I too had a recent bone density test which showed significant bone loss.  Nuclear scan was negative but elevated blood calcium levels.  About five years now.  They are concerned about the bone loss and recommend surgery however I am not sure I want it if they cannot localize before.  Ultrasound was not entirely conclusive.  Did you have the surgery.  Please share your results and if you had symptoms before the surgery.  I also do not want general anesthesia.  Were you able to avoid general anesthesia?  I hope you had successful surgery and wish you a fast and pleasant recovery.

I am scheduled to see the surgeon at Yale-New haven in October. The parathyroid hormone levels are "somewhat" elevated as is the blood calcium level; after 11 years I am more concerned about this 42% loss of bone mass in my left forearm (this seems to be an indicator for parathyroid trouble). I am hoping that Dr. Udelsman will see the results of the tests and be thoroughly familiar with cases like mine.
Good luck to you as well. I have no real symptoms--just test results that aren't terrible but not great. The loss of bone mass is troublesome.

HI I was wondering How your consult with Dr Laura went? I am going to see her tomorrow and would like to know if she is good or not as I noticed you went with another DR..