I am 18 years old and I am about to go in to get my tonsils taken out. I thought that I would read up a little bit about it before I went in and I kept reading all of these posts about people gaining 50 to 100 pounds and becoming obese after the operation but it was basically referring to children. I was just wondering, are there people who noticed a significant amount of weight gain after they had their tonsils taken out around my age?

You are definitely braver than me – I’m just reading and listening about tonsillectomy and post-op and keep putting it off but I definitely will need to get it done as soon as possible. I’m just scared, what can I do. I’ve stumbled somewhere upon that same story and it seemed kind of nonsense to me, but there are some very serious research that absolutely confirm that children after tonsillectomy have greater risk of becoming overweight. There are no results for the adults and only way to reduce this risk in children is some healthy diet. But, I think that at our age if you haven’t had serious issues with weight before chances are you won’t have them after the procedure. I mean, what can you possibly eat to gain so much weight and why would you eat more than you did before procedure. And I never heard an adult complain about this after the procedure. Don’t worry too much over this and good luck!