I was wondering if any of you have had their tonsils out with same day surgey. My ENT is scheduling my surgery in about 3 weeks. I have never heard of being done that way.

My child is also undergoing an outpatient tonsillectomy and I did some reading online and all the info available and info that I have found concerns children and not adults so I don’t know if it would be the same for you but I would share what I had found anyway.

It is said that it is a safe procedure and that if any complications occur after the surgery, they occur in 2 to 4 hours time. Patients who are not supposed to undergo an outpatient tonsillectomy are children younger that the age of 3, those who live far away from the hospital, and those who suffer from obstructive sleep apnea.

They keep the patients in the hospital for some time and if complications occur, they may decide to keep them overnight.

I just had a tonsillectomy on the 13th. Its a pretty safe outpatient procdeure these days.

Make sure you are not smoking in advance of your surgery. No aspirin or other blood thinners for a week before.

Complications are rare. Make sure you take it very easy when you get home, and stay hydrated. Fill up large cups/drink bottles/etc. with ice chips/water and drink/sip it constantly. Force yourself too. you will have to pee all the time. Get a large gatorade or such bottle or something to have by the bed so you dont have to get up.

From what I have read hydration is the most important think you can do for yourself.

As I said it's a pretty safe outpatient procedure. Thats not to say its a cake walk. I'm a week in and its very tough. Only do this is you are ready to go through a little bit of hell.

You must be a guy. A gatorade bottle by my bed will NOT allow me to stay in bed when I have to pee. I couldn't help but smile when I read your post.

Well I have, and that's how I had it done, and other people I know. I agree with the last reply.

Just try to keep hydrated it's not the end of the world going home. What can they do for you @ the hospital??? It's not like they can swallow for you.

Peace

I had my tonsils out in 1946 with same-day surgery. Of course they may have wanted to just get rid of me. As they were prepping me for the operation I "escaped" and ran for my life. The whole hospital went on alert and it took the concerted effort of the entire staff to find me more than an hour later. Even at age six I was proud of myself for causing so much consternation... never been back to a hospital since!