Hi people!

I just read this blog post on Real Simple that went into ideas on how to apply your eye shadow and other eye makeup depending on the shape of your eye. I know about monolids, but other than that, the eye shapes are hard for me to identify. I'm Caucasian of mixed ancestry but people never seem to be able to make me out. I have like a half almond? It comes closest to the "downturned" shape I guess, but I am really not sure.

So, I am not sure what I want with this topic but the idea of enhancing your appearance by using your eye shape to get the best makeup tips is interesting to me and I would like to learn more about it.

Does anyone want to chat about it?

I do agree that eye shape matters.

Personally, I'd look up eye shape diagrams and once you are pretty confident that you have a close match, doesn't need to be exact, go over to YouTube and watch some eye makeup tutorials for that eye shape. Then experiment with the techniques recommended when you have some extra time and eye makeup remover, and see what works for you. Once you know it is not a total disaster, try these styles on for a day or so and see what reactions you get.

It's not just about what others say looks good though. When you feel confident and happy, you also exude that.

Celebrity

There are lots of different thoughts about the best way to apply eye shadow. These vary a lot culturally as well. I enjoyed some of the videos about American vs East Asian makeup trends. A lot of these have little to do with eye shape and more with cultural things. For instance, in Korea light single color eyeshadow is popular, while smoky eyes are popular in the US. In short, Korean women like to "soften" their look while American ones tend to prefer to make it "fiercer".

Personally, I've experimented with placing lighter eye shadow in the corners of my eyes and under the brow line, then a medium shade on the lids themselves, then a darker bit in the arch. I quite like it. I shy away from too dark a choice in color though, because I think it shuts my eyes down as it were.

Rosie

Learning about this has helped me. I have "down turned eyes", which means very clearly downwardly sloped eyelids. I love cat wings but the the folds of my eyelids only interfere with this looking good, and for the longest time I instinctively stayed away from brighter eyeshadow colors that would only emphasize my to my mind weird and unusual eye shape. So when I read about makeup tailored to eye shape and figured there was a name for my eye shape, I discovered the two tone approach to eyeshadow. I still get to make "wings" with eyeshadow rather than liner and the contrast looks absolutely amazing for my eye shape.
This is worth learning about.

What? Now your eye shadow is meant to be adjusted to your eye shape? I never knew that! Sure I try to do the best I can to create a nice look and I've watched a few vids here and there and looked at a few blog posts, but mostly, people, I just figure it out by myself, I just do what I can manage and think looks good.

What is this meant to achieve? Make your eyes look bigger? Smaller? Different shape?

I think my eyes are fine the way they are and have no interest in altering their shape.

This ain't new to me, I have seen it before but never paid much attention to it. When I see those little diagrams I can always learn something from them no matter my actual eye shape. I look at the suggestions and if I like a tip I try it out, if it sounds dull I leave it. After all no matter the eye shape, we all have our own unique styles and our eyes are never quite like any other! So that is what works for me. If I had like a really strange shape or drooping lids or something then it might be a different matter but those shapes are so subtle that I often think, what's the big deal?

Think of it this way - does every color of eye shadow look good on you? I think not. Different skin tones do better with different colors. I have a hooded eye shape myself and that means that my eyes can look more "closed" than I would ideally like. Drawing the eye shadow upwards to just above the crease helps to open those eyes up, creating the illusion that they are bigger and less tired. A lighter color above the crease line also helps with this, so I do that. Learning about eye shape can definitely revolutionize your appearance. Your eyes are such an important part of that, ladies!

I just replied to two other threads and again, the same thing. I have said this already once and I will say it again now. Half of the things that then turn into so-called beauty trends are thought up in the bedroom by beauty bloggers and vloggers who have frankly exhausted every reasonable thing they could write about an are now trying to make money telling people what they should and should not be putting on their faces.

If you like the tips you see, go for it. If not, go skip the silly suggestions you see and do to your face what you think looks bueatiful on your face. No big deal, yes?

I am Asian with a hooded monolid and the tips for people with my eye shape have helped me created a more defined, creased effect. I did notice that for Caucasian eye shapes, these tutorials all list different eye shapes - it is really not a matter of just calling them different names, they actually list different eye shapes. It does occur to me that perhaps eye shape is more individual than people tend to believe. It is not just the shape of the eyes that matters either but also how wide apart they are, for example. This still leaves you with needing to play around with different styles yourself regardless of eye shape them, and deciding for yourself what you like best.