I am a 27-year-old female, 120 lbs and pretty active. For the past few months I have had a problem off and on. I will lie down to go to sleep and I will be aware that my heart beat feels fast or more pwerful than usual. As I try to ignore it, I becoem very jumpy and dizzy, to the point where the slightest noise will rattle me. If my husband brushes against me or moves, it lights up every nerve and I am jarred completely awake. It keeps me up at nights. Last night was the worst it has ever been, and today I have heartburn and a strange feeling of gurlging in my chest. It is very unnerving. I saw the doctor about this about a month ago, and she told me that it is probably just an inner ear problem caused by my sinuses. I really hope that is the case, but this is becoming a big problem since I cannot sleep. I have very poor health insurance and I am an unpaid intern right now. I really don't know what to do, but naturally I am frightened by these symptoms. Please help!

Be sure to post here if you find out what this is - Am the same age and have developed your exact symptoms in the last week, but must wait until the end of the month to see a cardiologist. I have a appointment to see a digestive health specialist at the end of this week - I'm trying to rule out ulcers and heart problems (gurgling and the heart-pounding and dizziness). Some of your symptoms might be related to a mitral valve prolapse, as the ER suggested to me, but again, I can't get into a cardiologist for another two weeks.

I am a 27 year old male and I have had the exact same thing happen to me 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have been experiencing heartburn with increased frequency in the last few months until one night, a couple weeks ago, I woke up at 4am, with a serious dizzy spell, which is odd, because I hardly ever experience dizziness. My heartrate was also racing and it took me some time to calm myself down and go back to sleep. The next night, the exact same thing happened again, and happened a third time last night. Any information on your diagnosis would be so appreciated! I'm in your same boat with poor insurance and cash flow.

I am a 29 year old active male and these symptoms sound very familiar because I have also experienced many of them.

The symptoms that uhugluhu describe sound like it could be Chiari Malformation I, I'll let you look it up, but this can be ruled in / out with an MRI of cervical spine / brain.

This sounds like acid reflux to me. I suffered with these same symptoms for years before I finally told my doctor. She put me on Nexium, and life is much better! I still have to watch what I eat, eat smaller meals more often, avoid trigger foods (chocolate, peppermint, caffeine, fried things, lots of carbs, too much alcohol). And you should NEVER lie down less than 2 hours after eating. But I'm able to sleep now. I also have hiatal hernia, which makes the problem worse.

Probably won't hurt you to try Prilosec over the counter. I bet it will help you! Good luck!

I suffer from GAD (General Anxiety Disorder). Tell me, when you hear your heart become faster do you get a rush of adrenaline through your body that just makes you feel like running to the door?

Ask yourself honestly, is everything ok in life? Have you experienced any life changing events (good or bad) or are you stressed?

im seventeen years old... and the same exact thing has been happening to me for the past few months. its not that im worried about it being some kind of life threatening issue... i just hate the burden of not being able to fall asleep until after 2-3 hours of tossing and turning. it is very difficult to force my body to remain still when i feel the vibration of my heartbeat throughout it. sleep pills have just made my heart beat even faster. if anyone has an idea on how to help make this problem more manageable, please reply

Wow i didn't realize so many people experienced this. My husband also has the same thing, he's 25 and he's been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. But while his anxiety has actually gotten a lot better, he still has this problem at night, especially when he eats stuff that might induce heartburn. Lately he's saying it doesn't feel like heartburn though. He definitely has that gurgling in his chest and sometimes I can hear it, and his heart is always racing. It's like every night he thinks he's having a heart attack.

He's been to the ER a few times for this, and they just do an EKG, some labs, and a chest x-ray and everything's fine so they just sent him back home.

I also suffer from GAD (General Anxiety Disorder). which make me hear my heart faster like have a rush of adrenaline through my body that just makes me feel like running to the door?

My doctor said I am OK, but i don't feel ok, I don;t sleep at night and I can only eat very light foods mostly liquid. I feel so hungry and week and I am at the point that I don't know what else to do. I have gone throuhg a number of tests and medications and to no avail. The medications don't work on me anymore. I have lost so much much all I see on my body are all veins?

Your help and advise will be greatly appreciated.

I find it comforting to know that i am not alone in this problem. I am 30 years old, and had a baby 3 months ago. Over one year ago my heart would pound and change rhythm when i would go to bed. I just ignored it. But it has worsened to the point where i get dizzy and my heart will pound so hard i feel as if it will come out of my chest. This happens anytime of day or night, if i am active or not, and it is really starting to scare me. If anyone has any info, i would love to hear it.

I'm a 19 year old male in college so I deal with stress constantly, and i've been experiencing these same symptoms lately pounding heart, heart burn, unable to fall asleep but not so much dizziness any updates would be great to see if I need to see the doctor, Thanks

I too am having similar problems, first I noticed it at night when I closed my eyes, I started to get this weird inertia feeling like the images in my 'minds eye' were very jumpy (if that makes sense) every so often it would jolt me and I'd get a burst of adrenaline which wakes me up more, I can hear my heartbeat mostly in my head which is unnerving. I wake up every morning feeling very dizzy/jumpy until I come round and get the feeling that my heart is beating irregular. If I was listening to myself I'd think hypercondriac! I'm at a loss to know what this is, I've tried thinking that I'm imagining it and trying to forget about it and also relaxation techniques but it still persists. Not sure whether this is relevant but in the last two days I've been getting the same symptoms I had when I got a duodenal ulcer (pain in the upper stomach when hungry) I'm a very active 38 year old male and have always been very healthy generally. I wonder if the H Pylori bacteria which causes ulcers and reflux could be affecting other things? I'll go to the GP soon and see what he says.

I too have had this going on...I had surgery 7 weeks ago and have consistently gotten worse. It is def worse when I eat anything with too many carbs...and during the day my head feels like there is a rubberband around it and I feel just weird all of the time. I feel like I am going to lose it because I can't sleep...up every night at 1 liek clockwork. I don't know what is going on...any advice would be wonderful.

I have been dizzy off and on for the past five years or so, and my heart pounds very hard and fast when I am just sitting in class or trying to fall asleep. I get nervous for no reason and often feel very confused and panicky. A few weeks ago, my doctor said that I might be hypoglycemic. If carbs or sugar makes your condition worse, or if you are beginning to think you are a hypochondriac you may be hypoglycemic. What happens is that you have low blood sugar, so your body and brain aren't getting enough glucose. In some cases, the low blood sugar is caused by the release of too much insulin to regulate sugar levels after sugar or foods easily turned into sugar are eaten. This lowers the blood sugar level, but your body and brain can't function without enough sugar, so adrenaline is released which is what makes your heart pound. For the sleeping problems, if you are desperate, I have found that medications with a pain reliever help me fall asleep such as Advil or NyQuil/DayQuil, but you should not take them very often because they can have negative effects. For Nyquil, you may become addicted, and Advil can be very hard on your stomach or kidneys. I hope this helps someone!

last night it took me 2 hours to get to sleep, when i opened my eyes everything looked like it was moving and i'm always very conscious of my heartbeat. Also suffer from sporadic dizzy spells which my doctor says is labyrinthitis (inner ear infection). Still feel like its something more though - sounds very similar to what others have been saying - good to know i;m not alone x