I'm trying to find out about a condition that I have right now that is truly ruining my life.

Every night when I go to sleep, I fell asleep but only lightly. Then, no long after I wake up, feeling strange and feeling my body being numb, specially the face and the feet...It started about 4 years ago but it was only from time to time and when it happened, I only had to get up for a few minutes, watch some tv, read a little and then go back to sleep...But with time, the problem seem to be more and more constant and the length of this effect seems to got longer...These days, it's every night. I get almost asleep, like in between sleeping and awake and then I suddenly wake up, feeling numb in my face and feet and also feeling like if there was something inside of me, like a ball of "bad" energy or something...I long thought it was the Caffeine I was consuming during the day but I have now stopped and it does the same thing anyway. I also stop Aspartame as well...As for medication, I have been on Effexor XR for 6 years which I'm now free of it (10th day today), after a month of tapering off...I also took Zopiclone from time to time to try to beat this issue I'm talking about but that didn't do any good so I stopped as well...Besides that, I often have (almost everyday) a strange sensation around my liver. It's not always at the same place but it's always in the liver's area. It's a sensation of burning or needle like poking...My doctor had me have a complete blood test and had my liver's function check on that blood test. he told me everything was normal. But I know there,s something going on there...For that matter, I'm having an abdominal ecography this coming june 10th but I had to almost force my doctor to give me the paper to go get one because he doesn't seem to understand or believe my problem...Coming back to my main issue, the reason why I contacted your website, this problem is truly ruining my life. Last night, I went to bed at midnight and was able to only fall asleep for good at around 4h00am...It does this every time I try to fall asleep, it can do this for many time during one night...And there's no difference if I take a nap during the day or not...It's a really strange sensation going on in my body, hard to explain and harder to cope with! I should also add that when it happen, I tend to clench my jaws and also to make a noise with my tongue and palate, kind of a suction that I make...In the beginning I was eating sugar as it seems to help with this condition but now it does nothing at all to help. And on my blood test, my blood sugar level was ok, I even have a diabetes meter here and check my sugar level from time to time and it's always ok, even when this situation happen...This problem is sincerely ruining my life and my doctor doesn't seem to take me seriously. I really really hope someone will be able to help me...Thank you for reading this...Regards, Gino

I'm curious to see if this isn't some sort of thing related to sleeping like perhaps it's a sort of sleep numbness or something. It's hard to tell because a lot of what you are experiencing is unusual. But your doctor has sent you to a specialist at least so hopefully that will help you out. Keep us posted on what your specialist says. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Did you get relief? Diagnosis?

Easy, It's anxiety. Just relax and don't take any caffeine before bed. If that doesn't work, exercise and drink plenty of water.

Take a long walk, 1 glass of red wine (substitute with grapes) and b12 supplement everyday.

I have matter valve prolapse and suffer with anxiety and limbs that sometime or no gray. Check this diagnosis out for yours. It is called dysautonomia. Client also wake up with extreme numbness from head to Teruko on occasion. It is very scary. So I say to you this is not in your head! I have a hunch is related to blood sugar levels and I will be tested soon. I appreciate your testing your sugar. I think it may be a sleep reduction in sugar. I usually eat a bite before going to bed. Good luck and thank you for your post

Medication possibly slowing your breathing down. Lack of oxygen to extremities feels like your feet have fallen asleep ,as well as hands, forearms, and calves. This has and is happening to me, and the progression is getting worse. Have a neurologist check you for nerve damage, or in fact your veins are concluded.

I also have a lot of the same symptoms. I am on Ambien for sleep so I sleep through the night and had this same problem before all my medications. My numbness feels like it is coming from my lower back and my numbness started in my legs and now my whole body. Seems worse on my left side. I had Bells Paulsy about 8 years ago and that is what my body feels like I am having a stroke. My fingurs twitch now when trying to type also. I see a Neurologist now for my Fibro and told him about this problem but I cant seem to get him off the Fibro issue. My Fibro pain I think is kind of in control. I need this numbing in the mornings gone. It used to go away after moving around but now it last all day and the ringing in my ears have worsened along with dry eyes and mouth . How do I get my doctor to listen to me.

I have the same numbness when I wake up... I have sleep apnea. Severe, too. You might want to have that checked.

sounds like me i have vascular issues blood circulation is bad wake up numb everynite and walk...have a right vertabral dissection and all these meds do no good .

I have been thru such symptoms. Tightness from my neck to waist n right arm, when i wake every morning. Couldn't find d actual reason for about 5 yrs. An extreme pain led to have a brain mri...it lead me to a brain surgery, 4yrs back. No pain now just need more of rest.
I just want u to be aware...this msg shouldn't scare u. Problems r not d same for all.

this is me writing this thing after waking up with the facial numbness. i was just able to sleep for around less than 3 hours and this happened every night for past 1 week or so. its either that or i wake up of sleep paralysis. i got this facial numbness with the sort of feeling when u smoke weed and the funny thing that happened around your mouth area. im 22 and my class starting next week and this thing just ruining me so bad. please goddd help me

Did you go to the doctors did you find out what it is?
I know I have sleep abpnea but its worst than that. As I find even sleeping with a machine. I will have a bad night and get up every hour to hour and a half. This morning I awoke and the numbness left me paralysed down the left side of the body.
I had to really work at it to get rid of the feelings. And as I told my husband it was not just pins and needles numbness it was the Ive been injected with something to bring on the numbness.
Postscript
just woke up again as I got up at 4 went back to bed at 6 am and woke up again at 7.30 am. The numbness was just beginning in my fingers and hand (left side). Dud not lay on that side was flat my on back. So I am worried what the hell is it?

I am experiencing similar symptoms but I haven't gotten any answers from my doctor's. It started with a burning sensation in my foot, thigh, stomach area and forearm on my left side. I saw a neurologist and Neuro surgeon of which neither seemed to know what's going on. I took nerve tests and had MRIs done. The neurologist had the Neuro surgeon view the films and I was told that I have a pinched nerve and it may be causing my symptoms. He put me on gabapentin but it did not help. That was about three months ago when I stopped the meds and since I've seen the doctors. Now, my left foot and leg Burn and feels like my circulation is poor so much more than it ever has. When I am asleep, my limbs all go to sleep like the feeling you get when your blood isn't circulating properly. Two nights ago, for the first time, my face went to sleep like how my hands, arms, legs and feet all do...even my lips went to sleep. It was so scary! I don't know what to do! I called a different doctor to get a second opinion but they don't have an opening until April 27th. I hate to have to wait that long. I was told that I should go to an urgent care or ED if I'm that concerned. I may end up having surgery to get the nerves unpinched in hopes that I'll get better. If someone has any advice I would love to hear it. Thanks!

I have all the same symptoms and when I told my doctor she just looked at me funny. This feeling when I wake is scary and sometimes I just lay there and can't move. It is from head to toe and its not just numb it feels really weird I can't explain it.