For the last few months my partner and I have been discussing having a child. However, I have incredible missgivings about trying to become pregant, though I'm at a point in which I would love to start a family. My missgivings deal with A.) I have essential tremor and cervical dystonia and have moral issues with birthing a child into the world who has a high genetic possibility of both as well, and B.) I am taking beta blockers and clonazepam. I worry that the medication will cause, if I do become pregant, terrible problems, as both are listed by the FDA as harmful to a developing fetus. On the other hand, I could stop taking the medication, and that in it's own right has me very scared. I assume that pregancy and breastfeeding an infant is hard enough, but I worry about doing it with surging hormones, a locked neck, and a shakey hand and head.

Does anyone have experiences with preganacy, a nervous disorder and medication? I can't find much of use on the net...

Tala-
I am currently pregnant with my first child and have DRD (Dopa Responsive Dystonia). I myself had the same issues that you are facing. I although really wanted to start a family with my husband, I didn't want to harm the child with the medicaitions I am taking. As I was contimplating pregnancy I found out I was already pregnant. I am taking only one medication (sinemet CR) which is taking care of most of my symptoms. I had a sonogram at 5 months and the baby is of healthy weight and has all her limbs etc, no visible birth defects. I am just waiting now to see that she is healthy myself. She will be due this June. I had no help what so ever from any physicians as they "do not have any recorded infomation on DRD and pregnancy". It is a mystery and I really wish someone would do research on this. I hope I helped in some small way.

:? Hi I just found out that I am pregnant this morning - about 6-8 weeks. My fiance and I are happy because we thought we'd have to pay to have a baby (in vitro, fertility drugs, etc) as we are both 34 and i have a history of reproductive problems. We are 6 months earlier than would be ideal (supposed to marry June 20th; i wanted to be skinny in my wedding dress! And I'm 5'5" 110 lbs normally this would be noticed so we're bumping up the wedding) but as if we'd complain - this is a miracle! So now we are both WORRIED. I have been on 2-8mg a DAY of clonazepam since 2000. (I currrently take 4 mg a day). I am Bipolar. I am also in the process of getting tapered off methadone (from 60 to 40 mg, 2 mg per week) because in spring 2007 I got badly addicted to heavy painkillers from a severe back injury - i was only on the opiates from march till i got on mdone June 11th same year. Of course I told my mdone clinic today because i was supposed to start going down by 5mg starting next week and I thought , "now for SURE they have to let me go faster!" ( they had said no to the faster tapering early in Jan due to the fact that I had a REALLY bad 10 day flu - they thought i was withdrawing.) My mistake. Now I'm lucky if they let me go off mdone while pregnant at all. I don't want to be on clonazepam or mdone for any longer than absolutely neccessary to taper off before this baby is born - i don't want it addicted to ANY drugs (a nervous, achy, shaky anxious baby in horrible pain and ultra-sensitive to light and sound?! Seizures?!) I know myself that the clonazepam is harder to get off and more dangerous for me - pregnant or not - i was advised at one point i'd prob have to stay on it 4 the rest of my life...but websites i've looked at this morning are showing signs that clonaze may be harmful to baby while mdone is not? Is this true? Of course, I see my GP tomorrow and called my psychiatrist this am to see him asap. Can anyone give me real medical advice on this? Thanks.