I am almost certain I am entering a premenopausal period as I am feeling more restless, experiencing changes with my periods, and I also noticed that I keep forgetting certain things. Even my children make fun of me because of this. However, besides these “harmless” problems I have also noticed occasional anxiety attacks. They would appear suddenly and I would stop all my activities just to stay at home, and hide there. This doesn’t sound so healthy to me and I was wondering if this is also a sign of menopause or could I be experiencing another problem? Thx in advance!

Yes, you are assuming correctly. Anxiety and even panic attacks may be symptoms of a number of hormonal changes in women like premenstrual syndrome (PMS), perimenopause, and menopause. Hormonal changes may cause the anxiety or even make it worse. If you feel that this is interfering with your daily activities and functioning in life, you should definitely seek professional help in order to treat the symptoms.

Hello- I have found this site very helpful in a quest to understand these symptoms. My Dr. is running alot of tests right now to make sure this is really happening to me but he said all tests aside he is pretty sure pre menopause is what is going on. Has anyone experienced this? I know how this will effect my life via children, aging early (maybe) etc. and i do plan to work with my Dr. more on these issues but its sorta nice to hear from someone else who has experienced this at such a young age. My symptoms have been Severe anxiety, foggy brain, some confusion (saw a psychologist and psychiatrist because i thought i was losing my mind but they both cleared me) night sweats, joint pain, dramatic change in periods, hair loss, skin changes, increased body hair, IBS etc etc. the weirdest thing is that i had a horrible bout with this, for a little over a month (this has been gradually progressing for over a couple of years) then it went away (i think when i changed my diet) it came and went for a bit but then it was completely gone. Came back and now gone again. sorry this is so long, but i would really like to hear someone else’s story regarding this. Thanks

The symptoms you describe sound like an auto-immune disease (lupus or rheumatoid arthritis). About three years ago, I was diagnosed with SLE-Lupus. My symptoms date back seven years ago: mild at first, and like you, would have bouts lasting one month about twice a year, then as years passed, the symptoms became more severe and bouts lasted longer. My first symptom was IBS. I saw Dr. after Dr. -to no avail. I even started to think I was making myself feel sick. I felt tired more and more often, I would startle easily (ex. if I unexpectedly noticed someone near me or behind me, even in my own kitchen; or a sudden noise, like my own child calling out for me "Mom", "Mom I'm home"), my anxiety became progressively worse, I had difficulty sleeping (waking every 2-3 hours), felt overwhelmed all the time, night sweats, achey joints-especially in the morning, fingers and toes were cold and painful at the end of the day, acne-like lesions (thighs, neck and chest), facial skin was becoming blotchy, hair loss, lack of concentration, forgetfulness, frequent yeast infections and UTI's, frequent cold symptoms, muscle weakness. I saw a rheumatologist and now take a cocktail of daily medications to control the symptoms. There is no cure, but I now know that my bouts were triggered by stress. I've been a working single mom (two sons), a legal secretary, kids in sports, my dance classes, all the mom chores, and a difficult Ex who avoids child support. I think my own ambition was the icing on the cake. You are your best Dr., persevere, insist, and see as many Drs. as required. Good Luck and God Bless.

I JUST TURNED 50 HAVE LUPUS AND ABOUT ONE YEAR AGO STARTED HAVING MY PERIOD ABOUT EVERY 3 MONTHS. AT THAT TIME I STARTED DRINKING WHEN I STARTED MY PERIOD. UNDERSTAND THAT I DO NOT DRINK ONE DROP AT ANY TIME ELSE. I STARTED DRINKING HEAVY, VERY HEAVY DURING THAT TIME ONLY. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS A SYMPTOM OF PREMENAPUASE? I CAN'T FIND ANY INFO OUT THRERE. THANKS FOR LISTENING.