Hello there! I am 47 year-old female, and lately I started experiencing some of the menopause symptoms. I wasn’t surprise as I was kind of expecting them but this doesn’t mean they don’t bother me. I was exhausted, a bit depressed, there was low sexual drive, couldn’t sleep, and would become anxious in special situations, so I went to a doc to discuss possible treatments in order to relieve these symptoms. What I definitely haven’t been expecting was that he would send me to have TSH test ed. To check on my thyroid. Is there any connection between thyroid and menopause? This came like a shock to me, as I haven’t experienced any thyroid problems before. Thank you in advance!

You can consider yourself lucky, most doctors don’t even consider thyroid during menopause, and it goes undetected in many women. There could be some link, but it is known for fact that thyroid symptoms usually worsen during the onset of menopause due to hormonal shifts. There are some symptoms that are the same for menopause and thyroid disease like: exhaustion, brain fog, poor memory, depression, lethargy, changes in mod or energy, skin changes, hair loss, change in libido, sleep disturbances, etc but there are also symptoms from which you can tell a difference. Symptoms more prone to menopause are: hot flashes/night sweats and vaginal dryness. Thyroid symptoms would be pain, visual disturbances, swelling of arms and legs, loss of hair from eyelashes or eyebrows and extreme weight fluctuation.