Hi, I recently went on a trip to Thailand.. I stayed in cheapo hostels, but never had sex or any sexual contact from anyone during my stay. Shortly after I returned to Australia, I began to become very itchy, especially in the shower and at night. I suspected scabies, possibly from bed sheet or something.. and went to a doctor. They said not to worry about it, the itchyness persisted.. went to a doctor again, and they gave me some antihistamines. My third trip to the doctor, with the itching almost unbearable, I was finally given the cream for scabies, I treated myself twice.. but as I was travelling, I'm pretty sure I was re-infected by my clothes. I got back home in Canada, got treated properly, but by this time (3 months after Thailand, I had 2 red, small (1-3mm) circular marks on my penis foreskin that were itchy, not painful, and raised (about 1 inch apart). I also had another on the underside of my penis foreskin and one on my testicles.. these went away rather quickly.. the other two remain.

I went to the STD clinic, where all my tests came back negative for herpes, aids, syphillis, gonnorhea etc. They did suspect however that the marks were just post scabitic marks from my earlier infection. These marks remained for weeks. I went to the doctor again, and got some cortizone cream for the marks, which seemed to slightly help.. and they just became darker marks. Thinking they might scar, and after researching the internet I purchased Vitamin E oil, and it seemed to work great. The marks were almost gone, until all of a sudden they returned and got red again.. coupled with the itching. I've been living in a hotel like camp for the past f8 weeks.. and have not had any sexual contact since the STD test, except for masturbation.

This is extremely frustrating.. why would the marks come back if they were nearly gone? Oddly the marks seem to come back when I wear my pima cotton underwear. Naturally I'm not going to wear them again.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I just took the treatment for scabies again...now for the 4th time in 3 months.

I'm new to this forum and as far as I can see, there are no replies to this.. if there are they were not visible on the page I got to! I appreciate this is an old thread, but other people can benefit from reading solutions and about the experiences of others finding pages like this from web searches.

The red bumps that appeared can come and go even after Scabies has been successfully treated. Unfortunately they're still itchy! Usually they're found on your genitals but can appear elsewhere. The key thing to distinguish whether scabies has been successfully treated, is that you are no longer itching all over at night, to a lesser extent - you can feel the itching round those red marks is slightly different to what was experienced with scabies, and finally, now that you can sleep and have everything more or less diagnosed, your sanity is starting to return.

These little bastard red bumps are what is known as post-scabies-syndrome. The good news is that you've cured scabies, the bad news is that it's still pretty far from over. Unfortunately it will take quite some time for your body to get rid of all the c**p those little critters left behind. I've heard those red bumps are all the c**p that was burried under the skin coming to the surface as your body rejects it. The itching and red marks is a result of the fact our bodies are elergic to this stuff. The red marks will usually come and go for a few months. As you are nearing the end, the duration they are gone will be longer. It has taken me 7 months (this is not unusual) and I feel as though I am at the end.

As this chap found out, the red marks can be triggered by certain things. In his case it was his cotton pants, but I have experienced first-hand and heard elsewhere how (if you're a guy) these nodules appear on the shaft of your penis after sex. Now this isn't reinfection and I know the person I've had intercourse with is clear. I recommend washing immediately after sex to help prevent the post-scabies-nodules. Remember, this is for post-scabies if you still have scabies, washing does not help, you must treat it.

After seven months, the red nodules disappeared from me for quite a while and I thought I was in the clear. Recently I had sex, went to sleep without washing & the itchyness has returned for what is now a few days. Only one very slight red lump though. Before I'd have as many as eight where two or three were really raised, red and obvious. I definitely feel like I'm almost in the clear.

Unfortunately because information on scabies is scarce and resulting psychological effects are harsh, people often mistake post-scabies for reinfestation or just unsuccessful treatment. Often people will continute to use chemicals like permethrin on their skin but drugs are a double edged sword. While things like permethrin kilI off scabies, they may also damage your skin. If you have post-scabies then it's best to let the skin recover naturally. If you already used permethrin but now think you just have post-scabies, don't worry too much, just concentrate on bearing with this and prepare to deal with this for about half a year before you can re-evaluate.

I'm sure the extensive time seems unbelievable and is not what you want to hear, but this isn't known as the 7-year-itch for nothing. Fortunately it will be more like seven months, but feel free to cross reference with other sources, infact I really encourage that. Unfortunately the only thing that seems to sort out post-scabies is time. There aren't really any products or techniques out there to speed up the process. Hopefully my input will help people with this horrible condition. All the best.

That was incredibly helpful thankyou. I have recently diagnosed and treated myself for scabies after almost certainly the same contraction vectors as described above, i.e staying in hostels thoughout laos, cambodia and thailand.

After a week or so my itching at night eased but for the last month i have been experiencing exactly the same recurring 'bug bites' on my penis and scrotum. I have been concerned of the cause and thought it may be something else or a reinfection, but your information is good to know.

Thanks a lot for the info eased my mind greatly man. I def have post scabies. Those lil bastards are horrible things

I'm wondering if I too have post scabies syndrome. I got infected about 4 weeks ago and have applied the cream (lindane) all over. It was all gone according to the MD but now it's come back and it seems to be a lot more itchy than before! I had some of the cream and reapplied it to affected area, but the websites all say not the use again( severe side effects) oops! So I seriously can't take this! It's only on my right arm. The first time I was doing laundry every day so my husband wouldn't get it and he also slept on the couch. Thank goodness he never got it! I'm ready to ask the MD to cut my arm off!! I have been looking into alternative treatments too. I just started tea tree oil and just read turmeric powder. Has anyone tried turmeric? I want to know if it really works. Since I have used the strongest ointment there is nothing else for me.

Try 2 cups of 20 Mule Team Borax in a tub of hot water.

thank you so much!!..i have been dealing with psot-scabies for about 5 or 6 months now. some luck that i caught scabies from the girl who i lost my virginity too, so much for a great first time. but reading this gives me hope!..also i think my friend got it form me, and he used tree tea oil. i dont know if it cures anything, but i have used it myself and it does help settle down the bumps temporarily and relive the itching.

I've learned that stress can induce the red bumps; confirmed by my dermatologist.  I had scapies about 2 years ago and gave it to my wife.  My doctor has cleared me of it actual scapies.  My wife no longer gets the bumps even though mine continued well after what everyone else has experienced (~7 months).  Even with the bumps reoccurring on me still, its not currently affecting my wife.

I caught scabies when I stayed over at a friend's house about 5 years ago in 2007.  I got the most terrible itch and rash which I thought was just heat rash but it turned out to be scabies.  I went to the doctor and got some pills and eventually the rash died down and I thought I was cured.  But ever since then, I occasionally get those same itchy red tiny "blisters" on my hands and feet - they only recur in these places and it seems to come and go maybe one or two episodes per year.  I don't get the same dreadful rash anymore as I had the first time, but the blisters are intensely itchy and when they burst clear liquid comes out.  I am also sure I can see a few small burrows near the blisters, but it's incredibly hard to tell sometimes as they are so small.  

It's now 2012 and for the last month or so I have had an extremely unbearable itchy rash on my left foot around my toes and the same blisters mostly on and between my little toe and a few blisters around my ankle.  I also have blisters on my fingers on my left hand.  I treated my whole body with Derbac M lotion a couple of weeks ago and I have been applying the lotion to just my feet and hands once a week for the last 3 weeks (so 3 times in total) and the rash has now gone on my foot but the blisters are still coming on my hands.  Have I been carrying a couple of scabies mites continuously since 2007?  Or am I picking it up randomly (not through casual sex I'd like to add).  It seems unbelievable that I could be picking it back up so easily through normal life.  I'm just about tearing my hair out thinking I will never get rid of this.  I am now waiting for a load of neem products (soap, lotion, oil and cream) which I hear has an unpleasant smell but I have to try something else.  I also washed my sheets and clothes in hot water, didn't wear the same thing twice for a week and washed my flooring with bleach and all of the surfaces in my apartment.  I also spent the night somewhere else so that any mites in my mattress might die.  Does anyone have any experience like this?  

As the mites take 3-4 days to die - without a host: "I spend the night somewhere else..." won't help you!

However, I believe it's possible that your problems are not a result of Scabies...but could be something else: like weeping eczema or a severe fungal infection. You should seek advice from a dermatologist.

It seems to be very similar to the scabies symptoms I had 5 years ago, but no where near as intense. Anyway, I received the neem products this weekend and even after a few days of using the soap, cream and lotion, the rash on my foot and hands has almost gone.

I have no idea if that is because of the Derbac M I applied a few weeks ago or if it is because of the neem. However I am still getting one or two intensely itchy small bumps (between my fingers) which appear and then disappear so I will continue to monitor the situation.

awesome post, really put me at ease. I had scabies over a year ago and I believe I carried them for around 4 months! the longer you keep them the longer you'll have post scabies. Even now in 2013 I still get raises that show up and disapear after 20 minutes. Go figure. But the ones on genitals may last a little longer. But I keep getting sketched out thinking I got them again or got something worse D: Reading this reminded me this is normal and it WILL go away.

My case of scabies was acutally BEDBUGS. So beware, especially if you are staying in hostels and hotels--think, bedbugs. You could have both. I treated my house with 91% spray alcohol and that kills them. Once you kill the bedbus, then there will be a reduction in the bites, etc. Turn your bed and chairs over and take a look for debris.

I beg to differ, I got scabies 18 months ago. I swear everyone thinks I am bug happy. I still see them coming out under my skin. I do not itch but keep using the premetherin cream several times to over the past 18 months probably 10 to 12 times, but can't keep doing on grandchild. Have been doing tea tree oil, peroxide, epsom salt, and orange mouth wash in a hot bath; as to they hate citrus also. I was also told to find a citrus lotion to keep on... going to give it a try. I just hope we are not getting re-infested from her mothers side. Best of luck everyone, never knew it was this hard to get rid of the little suckers!!!!!

actually. ive read a lot about this as i suffered through this terrible infection... one of the effects of post scabies is that it can further intensify underlying skin problems. for instance, i'd had eczema prior to contracting scabies but had barely noticed since i only suffered very mild symptoms a few times. i'd never been able to pin point the eczema until after the scabies traumatized my skin and had intensified my eczema.