When my consultant gave me the all clear to have my tonsils removed last March, I started to do some research on the internet into the procedure, recovery times etc. I found that most experiences were negative and to be honest scared the life out of me. This was my first surgical procedure and reading about the pain etc was not at all comforting. I worried myself so much about the operation and the post-surgery effects that I became run down, got tonsillitis and my surgeon refused to do the operation as it was too risky when I was ill.

Fast forward 3 months later and I finally had them removed and I have to say it was the best thing I have done and the recovery was no where near as bad as I was expecting from some of the stories I have read on forums such as this one.

I was fortunate to have a very supportive boyfriend who realised that a speedy recovery depended on getting me to start eating and drinking as soon as I come around from the anaesthetic. The morning after surgery I managed a full english breakfast! This may be the last thing you want to do but if you get used to it and the discomfort then it won't be so bad. If you leave it then when you try and drink/eat then the pain will be worse.

Make sure you take your medication regularly and especially before eating. There were many times when he literally had to force me to eat because it was uncomfortable but I'm so glad he did as I really think it helped me recover faster.

You will obviously be in some pain but I honestly believe this is reduced if you stay dehydrated and keep your energy levels up by eating. I know it's tempting to avoid it but it will result in more pain and dehydration which can lead to bleeding.

It was the extreme tiredness that I experienced for about 2 weeks after the surgery that suprised me. I don't know if it was the anaesthetic or just the healing process but it really took it out of me so make sure you rest lots.

In case you are considering a tonsillectomy or about to have one and you are terrified, please don't let other people's experiences put you off. I hope reading about my experience might be helpful to some people.

It took about a month for me to be back to myself and I'm so glad I went through with it! :-)

Angel,

I am 50 and having my tonsils removed next Wednesday. Any advice for an old lady :-) I've read the horror stories but my doctor told me to plan on being out of work 2 weeks and I've been reading that two weeks might not be enough. Especially at my age.

Help!