There are several procedures used to remove tonsils. Those of you who have had a tonsillectomy, which did you have and how bad was the pain and how fast was the recovery? I am getting mine out and trying to learn more.

Powered Intracapsular- uses a micordebridder that shaves while it rotates,removes 90% of tonsils, reduced pain, faster recovery, chance for tonsil regrowth, expensive equipment. Not appropriate for recurrent or chronic tonsillitis.

Bipolar Radiofrequency (RF) - Known as the gently way to remove tonsils, uses radiofrequency waves to separate the tissues, removes 90-95% of tonsils, reducing pain and recovery time. Chance of tonsil regrowth and recurrent infection, expensive equipment.

Cold Knife - removes all of tonsils, less painful than electocautery, less expensive, more blood loss, procedure takes longer. Is this even done anymore?

Ultrasonic Dissection- a vibrating blade removes the tonsils and seals the blood vessels, operates at a low temp. that does not burn the surrounding tissue. Less pain than scapel and electrocautery methods and faster recover than mentioned methods, expensive.

Electrocautery - removes the tonsils by burning them, painful, long recovery, risk for dehydration because too painful to drink, need stronger pain management

Thank You!

That is a great question and one that I did not ask before hand. I can say that they planned to cauterize from what I understood(w/o asking point blank) but while dr was in there she had to cut deeper behind the tonsil and therefore she was forced to use stiches as well. I can say that it might have seemed bad for a day or two at max, always expect the worst and you will get the best but remind yourself that a positive outlook will help you recover faster and looking at your recovery as progress the entire time will help as well. It is surgery, and you will have recovery, regardless but if you are like me and you have been sick for so long and when you get strep it is SOO BAD that this couldn't be much worse. I can't even remember what it was like and I had it on Nov 2nd. I did loose my taste and it is still dull but I feel great! Go for it! No regrets here!

:( Wow to the threedwoman.... Props to her.. Cause I had mine done on Tuesday, and was told it would be the worst two weeks eva.. Thought he was telling me that to expect the worse, and it would be better, well let me tell ya.. the morning is the worst, but my tonsils were considered, kissing tonsils.. They were touching each other.. and they pain is soo bad right now... and I have a herniated disc in my neck, they must position your head in such a way, that i also have a throbbing headache, and my neck is killing me... good luck.... i was scared sh*t, got it done..... And hoping not to get sick as much, but it is painfull...

I'm 27 and just had a tonsilectomy on Monday of this week. The surgery went well and was not as bad as all the c**p I have been reading. The first two days were the easiest. Today on the 4th day is probably the soriest. Just continue to take your meds and you will be fine.

I'm able to eat anything I want to... From burgers to fries to soup. Still trying to take it easy though. Not as bad as you think.. You will be fine and I hope my posting helps your confidence.

I'm 15 and just had my tonsillectomy a week ago. Think I had Ultrasonic Dissection. Hurts so much! Nothing less than I expected, but still unpleasant. Mornings are always the worst because the scabbing of your throat has dried overnight. Drink plenty of water as soon as you wake up to keep it moist. Chewing gum definitely relieves some of the pain, and try to eat normally but don't touch ANY spicy food! Oh, and definitely DON'T take aspirin because it stops your throat from healing properly and can make you bleed! First couple of day hardly hurt at all, and then you get a huge shock on the 4th and 5th day with PAIN. Mine is only just stating to get better and I am on day 7.

I didn't think to ask or maybe i didn't want to know?? I know mine were cauterized afterwards which counts for allot of the pain. My advice to you is tough it out - eat normal things don't eat soft things for two weeks your recovery will take much longer - drink drink drink lots!! And lots of mugs of Manuka honey in hot/warm water! Just remind yourself you will get through it and each day gets better!
Good luck !

I had mine out on the 4th march. i think they cauterized it (i bled a lot in surgery)

Its now 4 weeks after, and literally two minutes ago i pulled two black looking things from my throat- turns out they were stitches!! lol.

Pain isn't too bad, i could eat anything i wanted. The worst pain was when i got an infection on day 7, but antibiotics sorted it out :-)

My 5 yr old daughter just had her tonsils removed YESTERDAY and is already running around as if nothing has happened. The Doctor used Ultrasoni Dissection for removal. She (my daughter) was eating pretzels immediately after she woke up from the anesthesia and was feeling just fine after that. This new procedure is wonderful, especially for children. The recovery time is 10 days, with regular activity every day. She can pay just as she would any other day, eat what she would normally eat. It is amazing!! Wouldn't be able to tell that she had just had surgery the day before if you were to see her!

I hate your daughter. I'm 27, and got mine out exactly a week ago via electrocautery, and the inside of my mouth is still like a scene out of a rob zombie flick. I absolutely dread going to sleep every night, because it involves waking up every hour and a half with my scabs dried up shooting lancing pain with my uvula dried to them, and me freaking out praying it's not going to rip one of them off, sending me to the ER to get re-cauterized and start from day one!

Had mine done two months ago. I'm 22. Very little pain , doctor used a new instument called ENT ceps, it spot welds the vessels and prevents bleeding. Since so little tisue burned, my recovery only took 5 days and I only took tylinol.

I am 23 and did the entceps operation as well on wednesday Nov 2nd. Today is my 4rth day and I am still experiencing pain when swallowing and pain in my ears. I cannot talk or eat anything. How long is the average recovery time?

I had the traditional scalpel and stitching method (fortunately done by a top consultant in London) Medication for pain relief: paracetamol and Voltarol (diclofenac) - no opiates. yes it is very sore sometimes but I have been eating normally since the operation. Am now on Day 4

Am 23 and due to have my tonsils removed on October 17. My problem is that my wedding's coming up on the 1st of December. I don't know if I will be healed completely for both the wedding and honeymoon? Please help y'all.

I am a 20 year old female and I had my tonsils removed today through burning them off. Weeks before my surgery I read all these reviews of people saying how horrible it was. I really psyched myself out! All I wanted was to read one positive article. Well although its my first day and my pain probably won't hit until a couple of days, my surgery was not that bad. I feel like I have flem in my throat and I need to cough but they advised me against this. The pain is only there when I swallow and on a scale of 1-10 I would say its a 4 when swallowing. I had a little trouble with the anesthesia and when I got home I vomited up some blood. I thought this would have hurt way more but it didn't and it made my stomach feel better. I will be posting every day to update my status. Just here to tell people to not psyche themselves out. You will be fine!

I had a cold steel tonsillectomy. I am now on day 8. This has been a very painful experience up until yesterday when I felt there was a light at the end of the tunnel. I am now experiencing burning sensation which comes and goes. My throat is itchy and I keep coughing. I have pain in my ears which can be excruciating. Keep taking the meds. Can someone tell me if I was supposed to have antibiotics after this procedure and should I get a follow up appointment with my gp as I've not had any of this. How long before I wake up with no pain in the mornings?