I have had 6 cases of strep throat in the last 6 months, and I am faced with the issue of improving my quality of life and getting a tonsillectomy or going down my current path.

I wanted to know if you think the painful procedure has been worth it. After reading this site I'm not sure.

:-D I am so glad that I did and I wish that I would have done it sooner. I don't know why I waited so long to have it done but I ALMOST cancelled the night before b/c I was kinda scared for some reason. I have had several surgeries and never been scared so that made me uncomfortable, but the moment I woke up I felt 100 percent better. I say GO FOR IT! If you are like me you can't go wrong after all the sickeness and pain. I can't even remember what the recovery was like (outside of not having the taste back like it was, but it is getting better I can testify!)

hi!
I'm a 23 year old male and I just got my tonsils out on Jan 8. As soon as I woke up I knew it was totally worth it. I'm not going to lie... it hurts...real bad! (I've read that some women say it's worse than childbirth) but I can breath through my nose again!!! I'm just waiting to see how it's going to feel once the pain of the operation is gone. It may be worth it for you... or it may not be worth it, but for me, (so far) it has been! good luck!

Much much better. Still on rollercoaster at day 19, but much much better.

I'm only 30, relatively normal in weight, but have had chronic tonsel issues for two decades. I also have sleep apnea which doesn't help the situation. My wife didn't want to see me die in my sleep so I decided to go for the procedure. I'm on day two and so far am optimistic, even at some food today and have been downing liquids all afternoon. My ears however feel like they are constantly pressured so I hope this goes away and my voice is a bit cracky.

I just had a tonsillectomy 8 days ago. I am 23 years old and i suffered from chronic tonsillitis. I was scared to death because of all the horror stories I read on here, but it hasn't been bad AT ALL. The pain is very tollerable. I have been able to eat just about any thing, not food that is to acidic though. It is VERY important to eat and stay hydrated, even though it hurts, you have to. Something that helped me is taking a teaspoon of maalox and a teaspoon of benadryl, mix it together, gargle and spit it out. Or put it in a spray bottle and take it with you. This helps to coat the back of your throat. Its was a great decision to do the surgery because now i will no longer have to suffer through those horrible throat infections. If i were to compare the pain to that of my tonsillitis, it was no where near that bad! It was worth it! GO FOR IT!

I just wanted to mention that gargling anything post op is not a good idea. I did this and it caused SEVERE bleeding causing me to go back into surgery.