Hello everyone,

I wanted to write a few things about my tonsillectomy surgery about a year ago..Before I went in to the surgery I was getting 6 strep cases (at least) every year and finally my ENT decided to take them out..I was very nervous as I had no previous surgeries (including my wisdom teeth) done..I was shaking with fear of complications due to anesthetic to post-surgery bleeding..I read a lot of posts of other people's tonsillectomy experiences and that made the fear worse as I found more blogs about post-surgery complications than successful ones..I was sure that I was gonna die on the table or afterwards..So I decided to write this for people who are afraid of getting their tonsils removed..I'm 24 so my surgery was painful afterwards, as I'm sure your ENT told you already..but the thing is IT'S NOT THAT BAD..you get through it..It's just like getting your wisdom teeth removed (which I got done after my tonsillectomy when I realized there was nothing to be afraid of) except it takes a little longer to heal..the complications that you hear or read about are extremely rare cases..people like to vent when something goes wrong and it's very rare that you hear about the success stories because most people don't share them..and the worse case scenario?? will not happen to you!!..just load up on lots of popsicles and soup and you will do great..take your medication on time even when you're sleeping..set your alarm to every 4hrs (or however long your surgeon told you in between doses) and wake up, take your meds then go back to sleep..sleep is very important the more you sleep the faster the time will go by.. I was ready to go back to work after 6 days even though I still had some pain but it was very manageable with pain killers..

So my advice is not to worry..I haven't gotten sick in the past year..not once..not even a cold..when I look back I'm so glad that my fear didn't stop me from going through with it otherwise I'd probably be on a bunch of antibiotics right now instead of sharing my success story with you..

Thanks for reading and good luck :)

Thank you for sharing this! I'm getting a tonsillectomy in 4 hours and I'm extremely nervous from all of the horror stories I've read! Thanks for a positive one!

so is it done now??

Thanks for posting this. The internet is filled with horror stories about this, mine is in two weeks...
I totally get what you're saying.... nobody stops and writes about how smoothly their surgery went, so every post out there is filled with nightmare scenarios.