These horror stories do not provide accurate information.
I read the before my tonsillectomy wednesday, it is not saturday morning.
I am 20 years old, the same day as the surgery I was able to talk, I ate jello, and chicken broth along with a mango slush.
The second day I moved onto 3 cups of soup, mashed potatoes, more mango slush
and today, which just ended, I left the house and went to dinner at a Chinese restaurant where I ate bread, soup and a little crab meat, along with my mashed potatoes and soup I had eaten earlier that day. Also, I began swallowing the pills they gave me instead of the liquid. And I am talking just fine.
Don't get me wrong, it does make you sore but no worse than a bad case of strep, and my uvula is so swollen it is resting on my tongue. These minor problems should be worth not getting sick as often and absolutely no more tonsillitis.
The best advice is get an icepack, the hospital gave me mine, use it all day everyday, I even sleep on mine. Drink as much water as possible, even though it does hurt, I added apple juice to my diet to increase the amount of sugar i was intaking.
Sometimes it would take me 2 hours to finish a meal but I was/am determined to get better and calories help you get better.
Although I found it hard to stand, taking a shower helped a lot, and when you sleep use two pillows if you usually use one.
You will be fine. Ignore these horror stories, it almost made me cancel my operation.

yes this is definitly true, i had mine out yesterday on my birthday too and i almost cancelled mine too after reading horror stories, i do think it does effect people in different ways but for me i've had worse tonsillitis, i've been eating normal food and drinkin loads of water and taking normal tablets, the worst thing for me is waking up with a really dry throat for obvious reasons. alot of people just like to write c**p and scare people

Ok here is my story I had my tonsils out at the age of 25 I am 14 days post op tommorow my tonsils were always and constantly a problem I had chronic bouts of strep throat,tonsilitis especially through my late teens and early twenties my tonsils would become so infected that my tonsils would end up touching and my entire throat would close up. This would be followed by me getting rushed to emergency and an ENT taking a needle penetrating my tonsil and releasing the puss and fluid in my tonsil!!!!! This by far is the worse pain imaginable and I would never wish this on anyone both times this happened to me I was on morphine and both times I felt the full force of this pain! Needless to say not fun. So after a year of constant infections this draining proceduer several strep throat infections several tonsillitus infections and many bouts of sickness due to my body not being able to fight anything off as it was stressed to the max fighting tonsil infections I was ready to get these thing out. After numerous doctors telling me this was all in my head and this was normal I finally got a doctor to refer me to an ENT who took one look at me and informed me these should have been taken out years prior. Here in canada I find doctors have a habit of pushing drugs on you instead of dealing with the problem as this is how they are paid, but this is off topic and another story. So my operation is set up for 6 months down the road. This entire 6 month eaiting period is filled with chronic infections pain and sickness till the week before the surgery arrives and low and behold my tonsils become so infected again that I get rushed to the hospital. Noew this time is diffrent this time is the worst I have ever felt it my tonsils are touching each other and even more so I can feel them touching the back of my teeth and jaw so they cut them and drain them again!!!! Send me home with an iv as my operation is the next day. I show up the next day I am in so much pain my tonsils are swelling again I have not ate in three days pain in my head is umbareable and I show up to the hospital to find out they may not go ahead with the surgery because of my current state. So after much discussion and pretty much me demanding they come out the docs go ahead with the surgery they wheel me in give me a general anestetic and by the count of ten I guess I was out I don't remember passing out I wake up in a general room shiverring uncontrollably I remember this because I didn't feel cold but I guess its a side effect and it passed. I also remember trying to clear my throat but the nurse kept reminding me not to I was grogy and a little lost but this all passed fairly quick. And truthfully all the pain I had before was gone I had a sore throat this is for sure but on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say I was a 5 it really was not to bad they wheeled me back to my room made me drink some water and were supprised at how uch I drank they made me stay for a couple hours to monitor me and then sent me home with t3 a package of 6 percocets and some antibiotics now day one you are very easily fatigued so I just drank lots of water popsicles and slept a lot. By day three there was a little more pain but all very managable with pain meds I kept a humidifier right beside my bed took all my pain meds and slept didn't even worry about eating till about day 7 key is to stay hydrated infact really the only time I really felt pain was the middle of the night day 6 when I woke up to use the washroom and became so violently cold that my shivering caused my throat to bleed but I rinsed it out took a hot shower layed down and the bleeding stoped in about half hour. The key is if your in alotta pain do not hesitate to call your doc and get stronger pain meds. I'm day 13 now and its still painfull to eeat most things and I fatigue easily I am back to work and I still sleep a lot but all in all the pain was worth it in the long run. The moral of the story is don't listen to everyone on all these sites b***ing about how painful it is and not to do it most people in the world are negative and spread that negativity I am not saying this is a walk in the park but if you weigh out the pros and cons and look at this as a positive operation and how this will positively change your life for the better you'll see it is worth it the human body is capable of amazing thing and capable of amazing pain tolerance if your tonsils are constantly effecting your life then I would reccomend this surgery for the best. Now let's just hope they don't grow back