Hi, I'm 22 years old and have been suffering with chronic tonsillitis since the beginning of this year. I have had a few boughts of very severe accute tonsillitis and one bad mouth infection, which all seems to be related. I have now been on antibiotics 6 or 7 times just this year. Although my throat does feel sore quite often this doesn't bother me so much, I am constantly tired and unable to carry out normal every day tasks.

I have been offwork for about 2 1/2 months on and off since January and when I do go in I can only manage to work part time. If I do manage a full day at work or a full day out doing something the for 2-3 days after I am so exhausted I am pretty much bed ridden, I can get up if essential but I am so tired I can't really manage to do anything. I am sleeping for about 12 hours every night and I still often need to have a nap during the day!

I'm booked in to have my tonsils removed in July, but just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced fatigue like this, I haven't really heard of any similar cases. If anyone has had a similar experience will the surgery stop me from being so tired? The ENT specialist said it should but I am really really scared about having the operation, and wouldn't want to do it if I will still be as tired after as this is the only aspect of chronic tonsilitis which is bothering me.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to try and find someone who has been through the same thing. Any information/advice would be much appreciated :-)

Hi:
Your post sounds very familiar. The surgery is your answer. Why are you waiting until July. This problem has shut down your life. Have you asked for am earlier date. You are most likely tired because your body is constantly fighting off infections. In addition, you may be tired because you are probably not eating nutritiously because of the discomfort. That can create a bigger problem for you and it sounds like it already is. Make your doctor aware of your symptoms and how this is affecting your life. This is a cycle that will not likely end until you have the surgery. Remember that there is about a month of recovery time for adults who have this type of surgery. The first week will probably be a sore throat, however there are meds for this. It seems that you'd want to have temporary pain that you know is part of the healing process instead of indefinite suffering, like you have now. Get the surgery done and get your life back. Good luck.

Hi iam experiencing d same problem I cannot sit for more than 1 hour I AM SUFFERING HIGH FATIGUENESS AND TIREDNESS AND ALSO HAVING HEADACHE, SORE THROAT,AND COLD,COUGH I HAVE HIGH BODY ACHE .ALSO i experience heat in my hands and foot . I have been experiencing this problem since d last 2 months. please help me it would be so kind of you.

I am currently having this problem but I've been having it for years . The doctors told me I had sleep apnea but I am continuously prescribed antibiotics at least once a month . To get rid of the infection in my throat. They finally sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor and he said my adenoids are Huge and my tonsils need to be taken out. but I didn't know its linked to tiredness ... I'm so tired all the time I wish I could just sleep in bed all day but I'm in high school so I can't miss school I've missed too much already but is this why I feel lazy and not want to do anything?

What did you ever find out about this? I've had bad tonsils for year and for the last month i've had white stuff on them (not from food). I have felt so tired and fatigued lately, i think its from the tonsils. Any ideas? How should i expect to feel months after i get them removed?

i too am suffering with extreme tiredness after having chronic tonsillitis , i just have no energy at all to do anything , i hope it passes soon as everything is a major effort , all i want to do is
usually take to pass does anyone know?

I have been having the same kind of thing. Mine I have gotten strep throat 4 times in the last 2 months. In the past year I have had step 29 times that's not including the mouth infections. Ever since this problem started I can't stay energized for a whole day. I drink coffee but I still just want to nap and stay in bed. I sleep 14 hours now and I'm still tired. More tired with less. I'm getting my tonsils out as well and also very very nervous

Yes, I am experiencing almost the same thing as you! I had gone to so many GPs because my throat simply wouldn't stop flaring up. I would get sore throats all the time, and they would never go down. I never realised I actually had tonsillitis until last month. I have looked at my tonsils before and they do not look inflamed from the outside to me. I have other problems in the body as well, but they have all been dealt with, and the tonsillitis and the constant 'cloudiness' in my head are the only things bugging me now. Recently I have had a bit of difficulty inhaling air and that is why I visited the ENT specialist and finally knew I had tonsillitis through an on-the-spot endoscopy. All this only after 5 years!!! I have just returned from an appointment with the ENT specialist today and he said that the tiredness would appear only in severe cases, and because my tonsils are not severely enlarged, my current tiredness "will not" disappear after the tonsillectomy. I am not happy with what he said here and even think that he is wrong, as even though I do not have severely enlarged tonsils, I have read that inflamed tonsils could cause irritation of the trigeminal nerve that is linked to the head. Moreover, every patient experiences a different condition. I am very confident that my tiredness and sleepiness are a result of this tonsillitis. I am hoping this will disappear upon tonsillectomy (with another ENT specialist) and I can continue with my work efficiently. 

So how do you feel now?

I am having these exact symptoms. I have had about 7 cases of tonsillitis within 4 months and am EXTREMELY tired ALL the time, even after the infection has cleared for a bit. I am going in for surgery soon to have them removed. I hope this helps with the tiredness because it is ruining my quality of life. I am taking care of my 2 year old also so I can never get any rest. Just completely exhausted all the time. I will post after operation to let you guys know if it has helped.

Well I'm happy to let you know k just had my tonsils removed on tues so day 3 going on 4, and apart from the pain and constipation from meds, my energy is really good! I used to be fatigued too! I think it was because of the tonsils! And now I feel like I'll be jumping for joy bd freedom of the constant infections from my tonsils! Yayyy im too happy! Still very sore but Its so worth it

Hi there did you ever get surgery done ? And how you feel now did the tiredness go away

I was diagnosed with meningitis in october and recovered in hospital for three weeks in icu then moved to a ward ever since ive come out ive had chronic tonsillitis fatigue literally no energy im only 21 I really just want my life back any tips

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and I have battled this for 15 years after glandular fever. Recurring tonsillitis goes hand in hand with my Cfs. I just had enough of the reoccurring infections and I had surgery to remove my tonsils. It was extremely painful for a week but my energy levels are a LOT better. I still have Cfs but I don't struggle and suffer like I was. I just wanted the sore throats to stop, I had no idea it would help my fatigue so much. I wish I had the tonsillectomy 10 years ago.