Tonsils are prone to inflammation and enlargement; I can say I had experiences with those. I used to have tonsillectomy when I was kid. Now my son who is 13 years old is recommended to perform tonsillectomy too. I understand that attacks of inflammation became frequent and severe, so that’s why his doctor suggested an operation. I wonder if there is any special diet for tonsillectomy is should take care.

Tonsillectomy is the surgical removal of the tonsils. The tonsils are two pads of glandular tissue; the one situated each side of the back of the throat. The role of these pads is to help provide a defense against infection which enters through the nose or mouth. Tonsils also help in the production of antibodies to fight infection more effectively. For the first four hours after theatre, your son will probably not be allowed to have any food or liquids. He may find it difficult to eat or drink but he will be encouraged to do so the more often he uses his throat, the better. His sore throat may last for two to three weeks, but he should try to get back to the normal diet as soon as possible. Also as diet after tonsillectomy he should avoid sticking to a jelly and ice cream diet. Some foods can cause irritation and pain, so help him avoid sour drinks, such as citrus fruit juices, spicy foods and roughly textured foods for about 10 days or so.