Hi all. For the past few years, I’ve had chronic throat diseases – infections (both viral and bacterial). I even had those as often as once a month!!! Now, my doctor wants me to see a specialist for a possible tonsillectomy. I’m curious if they are commonly performed to alleviate both types of chronic infections like I have??

What matters is that your throat has chronic problems that must be solved. Even though tonsillectomy is a painful operation for adults, it really sounds like your doctor is right -- you should talk to a specialist so that you can at least think about having your tonsils removed. A specialist can answer all of your questions about this operation as well as necessity to perform one. I think that right now, you don't even have the option. Hope this helps.

I've had reacurring chronic soar throats all my life. I had my tonsils taken out and it didnt help at all. Still suffering with it. It was really painful to. I'm still getting different opinions from specialists naturopaths and doctors.

I had sore throats all my life, with the last bout being strep for June until November 2001, when I had my tonsils out at the age of 31. It was worth it, I have not had strep since then (knock on wood :-) It was the best thing I ever did. Wish I would have done it sooner!!!

Yes...had my tonsils out at 46 yrs. of age. Helped a lot. What really made the difference was getting vaccines for anything that can be spread by mouth secretions....polio , meningitis, hep a & b, pneumonia ,Tdap , flu. Built up my immune system ! No more sore throats. Vaccines were a God send.