I am a 45 year old woman who had her tonsils removed at age 22. Two years ago I started developing strep throat infections again. I was scoped to be sure there was no residual tonsil tissue, my children have been tested and my dog treated prophalactically. Last year I was on antibiotics for 30 out of 56 weeks. I developed yet another this week. In between infections, I am healthy, eat right and exercise regularly. My primary care says I am the picture of what every patient should be. I have seen two infection control specialists and the gammet of labs and tests show everything perfectly normal. I have seen a nutritionist who told me I was not deficient in anything and tried acupuncture for good measure. I was last told, "probably a run of bad luck". Not believing it is all luck, do you have any thoughts or suggestions?? This is taking a toll mentally, physically and now financially with the amount of time I have missed and cost of uncovered expenses.

Thank you
Beth

Did you ever get a response to your question about strep?? I was browsing the internet because I have a very similar problem, but did not see a reply. I had my tonsils removed in my early twenties. I'm now 36 and suffering from recurring strep (and unusual strains to boot). I would love some feedback as I have yet to read of anyone with the same problem. Thank you.

I'm a 24 year old male who started having recurrent strep july 2011, I had my residual tonsil tissue along with some lingual tonsil tissue removed three weeks ago. I got strep again last night and I have been vomiting. I haven't worked for a year and I thought after this op it would all be over. I'm holding back tears typing this because I just feel so alone, I've seen so many doctors and an infectious disease specialist. I keep on getting group C strep which is unusual to get so sick from it. I want my life back because what I have right now isn't a life. I just feel so alone.

I have possible solution. I get strep all the time even after I had a tonsillectomy. I tried a few strict diets and while I was on one where I ate no sugar I noticed I didn't get strep. I've tried countless times to test if it's really just sugar and over and over again I'll get strep if I touch sugar. Even fruit. Not sure if this is will be the case for anybody else, but me completely avoiding sugar seems to have "cured" me of recurring strep.