Hey, so I went to my doctor last week, and because I am almost 9 months pregnant, they always do a routine urine sample at the beginning of my checkup. I already know that I have extremely low iron levels, and am taking 3 iron supplements a day. Well during this visit, my doc told me that my urine shows that I have high protein levels, and has made me do a 24-hour urine sample for my next visit. Anyways, I was wondering why I might have high protein in my urine, considering I don't eat more meat than the average person, and I'm not generally very active. My father in law said it could be due to too much sex, and I was wondering if this is true, because my fiance and I haven't seized having sex at all during my pregnancy. Just leave me some replies and help me out pls. (: thanks lots.

Hi Kenzie,

Strenuous exercise can cause protein in your urine so maybe it is the sex...

Seriously, protein in the urine is common during pregnancy.  Yes, there are many other causes as well like heart failure or kidney failure.  I wouldn't worry about it now, just get it checked out.  Often it is temporary and the 24 hour test is a standard protocol.

It's not just meat that gives you protein either.  Dairy, including eggs, nuts, beans, and leafy greens are all good sources.

Even if it is high still it will likely resolve itself after your pregnancy.  

Good luck.

Thanks, I guess its probably because of sex .. but I drink alot of milk too. So that might contribute to the high protein levels. Anyways, I was just curious. Thank-you. (:

Can be a sign of pre-clampsia

I highly doubt that. See, I weighed 98 prior pregnancy and Pre-clampsia is generally involved with excessive weight gain, and I still only weigh 130, and my friend who had preclampsia got huge during her pregnancy. PLUS I think preclampsia might affect my blood pressure, which my doctor always tells me is normal.