My brother woke up one day and had a swollen foot. He didn't sprain his leg so we could not understand what had caused the swell. Is there any cause for concern? I'm afraid it is some major disease or illness that trigger the swelling.

Health Advisor
Hi there! How old is your brother? Is he maybe taking any high blood pressure meds? Calcium channel blockers, steroids, testosterone supplements, and even MAOI antidepressants can cause edema of the feet.

What kind os work is he in? Sedentary or standing? Long standing and especially being overweight can contribute to this condition.
Is he experience any other symptoms apart from the swelling?

It could be an underlying disease as well. Problems with liver, kidney when there is too much fluid in the body.

Gout, usually strikes at nights and hits the big toe first. It is an inflammation of the joint caused by accumulation of uric acid.
There are habits that contribute to development of gout like frequent alcohol use, fatty food, exposure to lead in the environment.

He should have this sudden swelling checked. In case of the gout, the symptoms may disappear but will certainly return.

2 weeks ago i woke up with swollen left foot. been to the dr and had a EKG, ECHO, bloodwork, xrays.. he cannot find what is causing this. Im 51 female, although i do smoke, im thinking there has to be some kind of restriction. I dont know what else to look for. Ive elevated it, took water pills and still is swollen. dr said if swelling dont go down in 2 weeks wants to put me on steroids for inflamation. I have shoving stuff into my body without knowing the cause.
any suggestions??? im not pregnant either.. and didnt hurt the foot.
he said it is not congestive heart failure cause it would be both feet swollen, so im stymed..
any suggestions please email me
_[removed]_ thank you

Hi, Have a read about Lymphoedema, I suffered from a swollen foot and ankle which got worse as the day went on and when the weather was warm, after 11 years of being passed from pillar to post I was finally diagnosed as having secondary Lymphoedema and have felt like a new woman since! There is no cure but it can be managed with compression garments and massage! Good luck!

I would love to talk to u about ur foot. I am 48 n I have the same prob. I have had it about 20 years.