Hi!

I'm 17 years old, and quite athletic. Not obese or overweight, I weigh 170 lbs and am 5' 11" tall, 10% body fat, and a BMI (body mass index) of 23.

Anyway, I have had this minor problem for about 5 years now, on and off mostly, without a certain pattern. My heart rate is very healthy, about 56 or so per minute. When I perform exercises especially running, (since I am a medium distance track and cross country runner as well as a weightlifter) my heart rate increases accordingly and is quite normal.

However, sometimes when I'm not doing anything exercise related, say walking or talking, if I take a sudden turn or say something suddenly, my heart rate increases rapidly, and beats really fast as if I was exercising at my maximum. It usually lasts only a minute or less, as I purposely start breathing deep and slowly, which makes my heart rate slow down to its normal rate.

This has happened about maybe once a month or so, and has had no repercussions to my health except for maybe feeling a bit lightheaded while it was beating abnormally fast.

It's happened a few times while I run too, which has caused me to stop running completely, sit down, and allow my heart rate to slow down to normal. While it happens, I feel my heart thumping, and I can actually see my left chest muscle move in and out as the heart beats. I don't feel any pain in my chest or anything, it's just a weird problem that's more of an annoyance than anything, at this time.

Can someone please tell me what this is, because I'll go to see a doctor if this is quite serious.

Thank you.

-Chris Fussman

I've also found a way of counter-acting this problem.

When I do get this rapid increase in heart rate, which does make me lightheaded if I keep working out or moving while the rate is increased, I can stop it and therefore return my heart to it's regular beat pattern by sitting down, and breathing really slowly, sometimes inhaling and stopping my breathing all-together, holding the air in, which happens to make my heart return to normal. I can do the same thing with exhaling and holding it, too.

Please help me. It hasn't happened recently, and like I said before, it's an on-and-off situation: It happens without a set pattern.

-Chris Fussman

I had these same exact symptoms. I was 17 when they started as well. Same EXACT situation. Very active, athletic. I finally went and got checked when I was 19. I was diagnosed with WPW. Easy to fix. You will probablly need a catheter ablation. Google wpw and learn a little more about. Be sure to give me a follow up.

I'm also 17 and the same thing is happening to me. My heart will start to race while I'm trying to fall asleep or watching TV. It happens while I'm not even doing anything. It makes it hard to breah since it is going so fast. I have had an EKG and a echocardiogram and they were both normal. I have a pretty fast heart beat when it not freking out, but it get even worse. I also always have low blood pressure. I'm also a healthy weight. I'm 5'4 and 103lbs. I would realy like to know why this happens. It's very annoying. I know the lady before me said it could be WPW, but my test were normal.

I was about 17 when this happened to me also. All my tests from the doctors came back normal and then a specialist had me wear a heart monitor for a month and they found that I had a Supraventricular Tachycardia. I had 2 cardiac ablations and I am back to normal now. Tell your doctor about this.

i am now 25 and i had the problem only 5 months ago, and i was told i could have the WPW, however when i went to the doctor all my test came back normal and told me that it could be stress related or even sexually related. Im fine now, and i have found a girlfriend lol try this mate maybe one of the best cures ever. James Taf

I have experienced almost the same thing. With me, the rapid increase in heart rate is accompanied by an intense and rapid increase in body temp. It is usually followed by nausea, but like everyone else, it goes away in about 1 or 2 minutes. Anyone else experience this? I was never concerned about it because I too am a healthy weight, but after today's experience, I decided to look into it. It happens every other month or so.

Hi Chris - Wanted to let you know I have the exact symptoms you have. I have had them for years. The doctors tell me my tests are ok-athough it's time to take some up-to-date tests. I wast walking up a steep 5 mile mountain every day-but like you-I can be walking across my livingroom and I my heart goes nuts and then I struggle like crazy to breath. I can also just take a turn and get dizzy or just saying a sentence, all of a sudden I can't breath. I have checked my heart rate-I will be sitting down and it is about 60-then I get up a walk across the room slowly and it raises to about 165. That's crazy and yet the doc's say nothing is wrong. I will look into the tests that have been mentioned on this site. Thank you Chris for sharing this so people don't feel alone in this and thank you everyone else for some suggestions. dakota