Hi, I am a mother to a three years old son. We did not experience any major health problems with him. However, recently he had troubles breathing. It looked as if he could not get enough air and got in some kind of shock. Naturally I was worried for him. Therefore, I took him to the doctor. He was diagnosed with reactive airway disease. Is this asthma? I would like to know something more about this condition, since the doctors were not very wordy.

Hi, reactive airway disease is sometimes used to describe asthma. But, often, they are not the same thing. Reactive airway disease is a general term for describing a history of coughing or shortness of breath that have an unknown cause. Basically, the doctors use this term when they are still not sure about the diagnosis. Further testing of your son's condition by the doctor will determine the cause. Experience has thought us that it is very likely to be asthma. However, since your son is quite young and probably will not respond to the conventional tests in an understanding matter, as an adult would, additional tests may be necessary. In most of the cases when young children are involved even an infection could be causing reactive airway disease so you will just have to be patient and wait for all the tests to be done to see why your son is having difficulties breathing.