Hi! I have some bacterial infection and my lymph nodes are enlarged. I need to take antibiotic. I hope that everything will be ok but I’ worried. I heard that this can be something dangerous. I don’t know exactly what does it mean to have reactive lymph nodes? Can somebody with experience explain to me! Thanks!

Enlarged reactive lymph nodes can due to reactive persistent generalized lymphadenopathy (or PGL). I read a lot about it. It’s representing an huge immune response to infection. The causes od PGL are bacterial or viral infections. This condition may affect all the lymph nodes, or may affect one or a few lymph nodes.

Lymphatic system is not simple but it usually gets swollen when you have infection in your body. However sometimes your lymph nodes can get swollen when they are exposed to trauma or injury. Lymph nodes can get reactive and enlarged when they are exposed to trauma and infection but it usually happens to the lymph nodes under your armpit. If you have an infection there you will most likely have an reaction. Sometimes when doctors are checking you for breast cancer they will check your lymph nodes under your arm. Also if there is a procedure of removal of breast cancer these lymph nodes are used for prediction of the procedure outcome. They play important role in our body.