Hi. My 10 years old boy has some sort of a reading problem. He`s a slow reader, not reading at grade level, and also have a spelling problem. His IQ is above the average and don`t know what to think. A friend of mine told me that he probably has dyslexia. Is there anybody who could tell me more about reading problems? He wears glasses and I think he just can`t see.

Hi. I have a kid with reading problems, poor handwriting and poor drawing ability. He was diagnosed with dyslexia. Kids with dyslexia do not exhibit these symptoms due to a poor vision or hearing, it`s but because of a brain dysfunction. The lower centers of the brain scramble the images or sounds and this causes confusion. Perception problems can be treated with some simple exercises. Treatment includes phonics game - games makes learning fun and most of the kids are reading confidently after only 18 hours of instruction. There are also tapes for teaching spelling skills.