My nephew's friends just had their first baby last Friday and my sister and I are hopefully going to see her today. I want to take along a little something but my creative juices have congealed. I always used to get mom and baby this little gifty thing from the Body Shop with bath stuff for both of them but I'm not into that this time. Maybe a casserole or something they can freeze and eat later?

SPA day for mom. A babysitting coupon so that mom can take advantage of spa day.

I usually give a security blanket that has been embroidered with the baby's name on the satin edging.

I have also taken a picture of mom and new baby and had a puzzle made (or coffee cup, or a special frame for a desk if she's a working mom).

You can also have a book made that is personalized with facts about Mom, Dad, and the new baby. The book is usually more appropriate for a one year old birthday party.

Personally, I think a 12 pack of cold beer and a pizza would go very well with the new parents....

babys first scissors?

That's probably how they got themselves into this mess in the first place.

I kind of like this idea...something to make their lives a little easier in the exhausting coming months.

Oh, I think the gift basket of Bath & Body works for mom, Chicken Soup for the New Mother's Soul, a book mom can read to baby "Guess How Much I Love You" is a good one, or "Oh, The Places You Will Go" by Seuss... I always love to get stuff for mom just because your first child is such a broohaha for the little one. Mom often gets overlooked.

Gift certs for takeout never a bad idea. Pizza, chinese, whatever.

OH !! OH!!
The Baby must have Goodnight Moon. MUST!!

I decided on a card and a loaf of banana-chocolate chip bread. I don't really know them all that well (this is the girl that helped me out for an hour a couple of weeks ago) and I've never been to their house so I don't know how well equipped they are for baby, how much room they have, etc. The banana chocolate-chip bread will keep Dad going while Mom gets some much needed rest
Great ideas though, everyone. I've filed them all for next time!

When friends of ours were in the middle of having babies, I would make them dinner for the day mom and baby came home.

To this day there are five mothers in town that constantly thank me for cooking. They all comment how wonderful it was not to have to worry about dinner when they came home.

I did see a nice thing in the PX catalog. It was a baby keepsake box that included silver plated containers for the birth certificate, first lock of hair and first tooth. They were fitted in a very nice wood box with glass top. It was selling for $ 20.00.