Had a colon resection 8 weeks ago at which time they also repaired an umbilical hernia........they had to do what they call an open surgery due to 3 previous c sections done from the belly button to the pelvis/2 weeks later had an abcesess that surgeon lanced in office, he packed it w/gauze that had to be changed everyday , this lasted about 2 weeks....another spot appeared next to incision but he said it was nothing.........i now am experiencing swelling near incision, legs, back and neck. My lymph glands are swollen under my arms, i feel like pins and needles are going up and down my body if you touch the swollen areas.....these areas come and go , my skin is very mottled looking ( red,white and pinkish in color), I also can't sleep, I'm freezing and then sweating like someone lit me on fire. I haven't felt right since the abcess..........I am 49 years old,female, take toporol 100mg daily for high blood pressure/which since surgery my blood pressure goes up to 150 to 180 on top to 65-115 on bottom this cost me another trip to hospital /coumadin 10mg daily theraputic for blood clots in lung / thigh and arm......no blood clots at the moment.......tegretol 200mg daily for partial seizures (petite)/ and my primary dr just put me on zoloft for the "hot flashes" and the mood swings and depression i am experiencing since the surgery........i feel like my surgeon doesnt take me seriously..........my primary is currently running blood tests...........i feel like i'm going crazy any help out there.....thank you

I had a open colon resection for diverticulitits 7 weeks ago. I too had swelling and drainage from incision. I found that bathing the abdomen in 1 cup epson salts to 1 gallon warm water three times a day took away the inflamation and pain. My surgeon has been no help either and my primary dr. sent me to see a plastic surgeon the incision had been closed so poorly. Fever and pain usually indicate infection. hope you feel better soon.

Hi
I just found this forum , I had colon resection surgery done a year ago but it was a bad surgery had to go back a week later dued to pain and high fever and bloating and foul smell coming from wound , had to do emergency surgery ended up with colostomy , Its been a year now and i am scheuled for a colon resection in nov of 2008 .....ALL goes well this time but anyhow the person that is hot one min freezing the next i had that and was told that is the coumadin doing it , but i had major hair falling out but still on it and all is well with it now , i did throw a clot in leg which traveled to lungs ...So hun you really need to get checked , sounds like you are going through what i did a hole in the colon , go back to your surgeon and have them do a ct scan on your tummy hope this helps and may gods healing hands be upon you .........

I had a similar thing happen to me. Exactly one week after the resection. The day after he released me from hospital it come completely undone and was flowing freely in my body. What a mess! I now have a huge open wound on my belly,right next to my most likely permanent colostomy. I am truly living a nightmare. Been out of hospital for a couple weeks but been runnin a pretty high fever for 5 days now. But i cant make myself go to the er. This all started over a seemingly simple surgery for rectal prolapse repair. Which was way easier to deal with than what i have been delt by trying to repair it. Wish i would of never had it done.

What was the result?