Over the last 3 years, I have a recurring eye issue and multiple specialists have not been able to diagnose it.  These symptoms are recurring and are becoming more frequent. Began as every several months, then monthly and not several times a month. It begins by someone asking me what happened to my eye, "It's really red!".  The reddness starts in a corner usually in one or the other eye, but sometimes both. There is no paid, itchiness or pressure. It is really bright red. The reddness will spread and when at it's worse could spread across the entire surface of the white part of the eye. That is followed within hours of pain beginning. The pain varies between not to bad, maybe 2 or 3 of 10, but sometimes it is unbearable in the 9 or 10 range. The pain is a pressure, like my eyeball would explode if I poked it with a pin and the orbital socket (boney part) is very tender - sometimes as far up as the middle of my forehead above the painful eye.  I most often have a headache too but not always.  There is never an itchy, dry or scratchy feeling. There are no visible bumps, cysts or sores, just reddness and pain.  The pain stage lasts 2 to 3 days and cold or hot helps a little. Once gone, eyes are normal. No vision issues, other than vision is getting worse but I'm a woman and 50 so that may just be aging. Good general health otherwise and on no medications. I've been to eye doctors, opthamologist, checked for arthritis, heart specialist and no one has a clue. They's said, "sometimes you just don't know what it is" and "this has nothing to do with your eye" - I assume meaning it isn't the normal eye diseases.  Does anyone have similar condition or have ideas?

I had red eye all the time then ended up with nodular scleritis. After many treatments with steroid drops it helped but to come back. After trial and error I found out it was my dandruff shampoo. the shampoo was burning my eye.  Thats it...