I recently started to go the tanning bed to get a head start on a tan for the summer, and i noticed that on my upper back i have developed a rash, which is raised and now is clustering on my back. It is unbearably itchy at all times. I even stopped going to the bed for a week and it still has not gone away. Is there any specific reason for this rash, anything i can do to get rid of it, and what would have caused it since i have tanned before at the same salon with the same lotion with no problem.

i know exactly what you mean. i started tanning about a week ago and have gotten a rash on my stomach and back that is red and itchy. it almost reminds me a blisters. it will not go away. if anything it is getting worse. please oh pleas somebody tell me i am just allergic to the tanning bed cleaner. i do not want to stop tanning because i have psorasis and it is the only thing that takes it away.

I get the same rash every year, on my back and breast area. There is a lotion called Sarna you can get from a pharmacy and it will dry up the rash and stop the itching usually after tanning and using this lotion for about 3 weeks the rash and itching will go away. I hope this helps.

I have gotten the same kind of rash. It is an allergy to the cleaning product. All you have to do is ask the bed to wipe the bed with vinegar. You will sorta smell like a burnt pickle after, but it will keep you from getting the rash.

It is crucial to clean the tanning bed thoroughly before using. There are staph germs and many others harboring in the warm environment of a tanning bed. Do not use the bed unless you clean it yourself, even if you have just witnessed an employee cleaning it!

The rash could be as simple as a concentrated heat rash, but if it persists should always be checked out by your doctor. It is interesting that you would have an allergy to the cleaning product? Have you ever had skin allergies before?

me too!!! this is really starting to freak me out!! mine is very slotchy and is scatterd... some bigger spots with peeling of skin (kinda looks like a blister) and some tiny dots spreaded all between!!! someone please tell me they know what this is :-(

I have had this same problem for three years now. I use to tan when I was young with no problem, but about three years ago I started developing a skin sensitivity to tanning. However, I am fair skinned and my rash only occurs in areas where I get burned such as upper back, inner chest area, etc. I ask a doctor about this problem and was told it was just an allergy that develops in some people also known as (a type of atopic dermatitis) when they exposed to large amounts of UV at one time, this is why it only occurs in areas where I burn. I have found tanning while this rash is still present only makes it worse so, I take benadryl and use a mild lotion like Cetaphil or CeraVe. This will clear up the rash in a few days and you should fine to tan in moderation. If the rash reoccurs follow these steps again and you will eventually build up a tolerance to the UV.