Hi, guys. My close friend was in contact with someone who has meningitis. Now he is afraid of getting sick, so he would like to prevent it. He was recommended to take rifampycin. I would like to know if this is a sure way of prevention. I would appreciate if you could give me some sincere answers.

Hi. I am afraid your friend is at great risks. Most cases of meningitis in adults are caused by bacterium called Neisseria meningitidis. It usually lives normally in throat and nose. It is transmitted via droplets from throat or nose secretion. That is why your friend should contact a healthcare professional. He will give him the best info about this. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck! Bye!

Hello, my friends. Meningitis is a tough disease. Your friend should contact a doctor immediately. Rifampycin or rifampin is indeed recommended for meningitis prevention. I think it should be taken for 2 days, but I am not sure. This drug is not recommended for pregnant women. Advise your friend to go to the nearest healthcare center as soon as possible. Immediate reaction is very important here. I hope your friend will manage to prevent it. Bye!

Hi, folks. Rifampin is indeed recommended for prevention of meningitis. This is especially valid for people who were in contact with the sick person. Ciprofloxacin is also recommended for this kind of use. However, this antibiotic is not recommended for those who are younger than 16. You haven’t mentioned the age of your friend. It would be best to consult a doctor. We are not talking about some common cold, so your friend could treat it on his own. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!