Hello everyone! I have a question for you all, if that is all right with you? I am expecting a baby in a little over a week. I looked at the new vaccine schedule and I noticed that they tend to give newborns the Hep B vaccine while they are still in hospital, most likely at a few days old or even younger. I am not sure about that... What is the risk that my baby will be infected with Hepatitis B? Isn't that very small?

My wife looked into this as well, pretty much for the same reasons you mentioned, and in the end we found out that the Hepatitis B shot is mainly given as a preventive measure for when your baby is much older, and starts potentially sharing needles and having unsafe sex - NOT an issue for your sweet little newborn. For that reason, we decided to skip the Heb B shot altogether, and instead give all we have to raise our son to be a responsible adult who doesn't engage in those kinds of activities!