Hi, my former boyfriend cold me to say that he’s got hepatitis B, and his not sure if he had it while we were together. Should I go to check if I am a carrier as well? Maybe I wil endanger someone as well. How can hepatitis B be spread?

Generally speaking it is advisable to check if you are hepatitis B carrier, it is an important health issue for you and you sexual partner, family who live with you because they may come in contact with your body fluids. Your risk for contracting hepatitis B is higher if you are injection drug user, homosexual, or if your sex partners are carriers of hepatitis B. Aboriginal people and Torres and Strait Islanders are more susceptible, as well as people of Asian racial background. Hepatitis B infection can be diagnosed from a blood test, although different methods of antibody and antigen tests are applied.