I had cholecystectomy 8 months ago and ever since I have frequent diarrhea and my question is related to Atkins diet following cholecystectomy. Would it be of help in solving my diarrhea problem following cholecystectomy for I have heard Atkins diet is on of the best so do you think I could follow it in order to improve my cholecystectomy post op difficulties?

Hi! I also had my gallbladder removed for the gall stones I had and it was 6 years ago and until 2 years ago I was having diarrhea problem following the cholecystectomy I had. And this is actually usual situation followed by cholecystectomy but I wouldn’t advice you Atkins diet despite the fact that it showed to be very successful in loosing weight but I still don’t get it how it could be of help in reducing diarrhea difficulties. I think that Atkins diet not allows eating carbohydrates at all and at my opinion it is not good quitting the carbohydrates for every organism needs them for the energy and trust me you need energy now. It doesn’t mean you have to eat plenty of carbohydrates it is just I don’t think that Atkins diet would help you following cholecystectomy. Anyway I could recommend you the diet or it is more like a treatment that helped me deal with diarrhea following cholecystectomy-it is simply in avoiding the spicy food, fat food, alcohol, caffeine and things like that I was also taking loperamide that is an antidiarrheal meds and also high-fiber diet has helped me a lot. Keep in mind that only soluble fibers are advised here.