What is Reye’s syndrome? My friend’s child was diagnosed with Reye’s syndrome. They first thought that the child was suffering from meningitis. She had persistent vomiting and personality changes. Her teacher first noticed this and she told to the parents. I would like to hear more about this syndrome.

Reye syndrome is an unusual reaction to infection that results in brain swelling and fatty disease of the liver and kidneys and can result in death. It is generally caused by virus and it is most harmful to the brain and the liver, because it causes an increase of pressure within the brain and, often, massive accumulation of fat in the liver and other organs. It is not uncommon for that Reye’s syndrome is misdiagnosed as meningitis. I know about the case when they believed that the boy was on drug. It was big misunderstanding.