I would like if someone could tell me more about salivary glands and saliva itself. My dentist told me that I produce a lot of saliva and that made me wonder about it. I would appreciate some basic information.

I find your question quite interesting, and you are not the only one who has that kind of “problem” with excessive saliva. Saliva is produced and secreted from salivary glands and the basic secretory units of salivary glands are clusters of cells called acini. These cells secrete a fluid that contains water, electrolytes, mucus and enzymes. They all flow out of the acinus into collecting ducts and within the ducts the composition of the secretion is altered. Small collecting ducts within salivary glands lead into larger ducts. They eventually form a single large duct that empties into the oral cavity. Secretion of saliva is under control of the autonomic nervous system. Nervous system controls the volume and type of saliva secreted. Saliva has many roles, including those important to all species. The mucus in saliva is extremely effective in binding masticated food into a slippery bolus that slides easily through the esophagus without damaging to the mucosa.