Hello! Can anybody tell me what conditions cause salivary gland nodes to swell? It happens to me that my salivary glands swell but only during meals, and then they subside until the next time I eat. What could this be? Thanks

Hi, what you are experiencing is called an obstruction. I had the condition once. Obstruction to the flow of saliva most commonly occurs in the parotid and submandibular glands, usually because stones have formed. Symptoms typically occur when eating. Saliva production starts to flow, but cannot exit the ductal system, leading to swelling of the involved gland. It may cause pain and even infection. Infection can develop in the pool of blocked saliva, leading to more severe pain and swelling in the glands. If untreated for a long time, the glands may become abscessed.

If you notice that your glands are swollen no matter where in your body it means that you are probably having some kind of infection in your body. The thing is that glands help our body to fight the infection, but they also help us to find the location of the infection, which in your case is probably somewhere in your mouth. Now, have you had any dental problems in past several weeks? If you have bad tooth this could cause your glands to get enlarged. Also salivary stones are possible cause of swelling but they don’t happen too often to people. Try to fight the infection with antibiotics and keep your oral hygiene as best as you can.

Hi, I'm 41 and I've had a parotid gland problem since I was 10 months old. My gland is swollen 8 months of the year. My gland has Tons of calcium deposits.I was told to suck on lemons, drink lemonade or even suck on lemon heads.anything like that will keep your gland open a and flowing.hope this helps

Did it work?